What's new

RF Extender? (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It might not work for you, since you’re putting the gear in a closet. From what I can see from the description, there is an IR blaster that plugs into the receiver (the thing with the dome top). Blasters are high-powered emitters and are good at controlling a complete stack of gear (as opposed to lower-powered emitters that you have to stick to each component in the system). However, you need some distance between them and the gear for them to operate. The more components you have in your system (i.e., the taller the stack is), the more distance you need. So, if your closet is tight quarters, you might be out of luck.

Personally I haven’t had any luck with the IR/RF converters (although I haven’t tried the battery-replacement kind). I went with an IR repeater system. Here’s a thread that discusses them – scroll down to my post.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JoseLH

Agent
I'm considering that battery type convertor from Parts Express. It is stated to work with Harmony remotes so it should be no problem. It'd be cool to have the remote work from any room in my home. Just in case though, are those Powermids available at local stores or only online?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I purchased the Powermids on eBay. I guess at one time Radio Shack was selling them...I can't say whether the Radio Shack models are as good. But you might give those a try since you can pick them up locally and easily return them if they don't do the job.

EDIT: radioshack.com sells the Powermids and you can check to see if a local store has them in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks