Reviews of Altman's M*A*S*H?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatrickL, Dec 14, 2001.

1. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

I've been waiting for this one, and found one review online so far, largely positive:
    http://www.dvdmoviecentral.com/ReviewsText/mash.htm

2. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

I have also been very excited about this. M*A*S*H is one of my all time favorite films. I'm glad to see the sign-post is being utilized in some fasion in the DVD menues... albiet for an easter egg...

3. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Nice!! Gotta get my hands on this one altough i´ve never seen this movie!!
    [​IMG]

4. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

Try DVDMG.com too!

5. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Fox's new DVD transfer of M*A*S*H does indeed have a soft, hazy look with desaturated colors, just as it should. Altman shot this film using several filters to give it this very look. Altman also personally oversaw the film restoration and commented that the restored element looked just like he remembered his final answer print looked in 1970.

The upcoming five-star DVD edition is now one of the jewels of my collection. Not only is the film restored to "like-new" condition, but the supplements ofer a detailed and entertaining glimpse of the history of this film and the time it portrays.

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

7. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

8. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

Hey Obi, can you please comment on the differences between the R-rated cut on the DVD and the other (PG) version?

Thanks!

9. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Patrick:

Yes, I'll be posting my review later in the weekend, probably Sunday. Expect an extremely positive review. On the topic of the soundtrack, Altman's use of multiple microphones with layers of overlapping dialog was beyond innovative for the time. It is also one of those rare bits of genius that adds to the timeless appeal of this film. All the times I have seen this film, I still pick up new bits of dialog with each viewing. The work on the soundtrack for this restoration is easily as good as the work on the image.

Tim:

I can't give you exact scenes, though I'm sure others will be able to offer that kind of detail. What I can tell you is the PG version trimmed 4 minutes of mostly gore and a few of the raunchier bits. That version runs 112 minutes. The new DVD is, obviously, the original uncut theatrical version running 116 minutes.

10. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

11. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    == The upcoming five-star DVD edition is now one of the jewels of my collection. Not only is the film restored to "like-new" condition, but the supplements ofer a detailed and entertaining glimpse of the history of this film and the time it portrays. ==

Obi,

I first saw M*A*S*H in a movie theater in Japan in 1970. I was in the Navy at the time, and the film's irreverent humor was perfect for my mood. I can hardly wait for the DVD to arrive.

12. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    We saw a snipet of MASH 5 star DVD at Fox, during our L.A. Meet. The movie restored was really amazing. It looked great.
    Go out and get this on Jan 8th!! I am, and I've only seen about two whole episodes!

13. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

This movie will be released a day after my birthday. I guess I will be giving myself a late birthday present.

14. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    As John said, we saw a short clip of the opening of the film in L.A. in Sept., but what we saw was on film (35mm, I believe). Since this is Fox we're talking about, I expect a spectacular DVD transfer of the restored film elements we saw just as Altman shot it.

Rob

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Rob, we were shown the 35mm restored AND some of the DVD at Fox if you recall. Both presentations put a really big smile on my face, I can't wait for this one to arrive!

Dan (UK)