What's new

DVD Review REVIEW: Fox's "The Song of Bernadette" (with screen captures) (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Thought I saw something on this DVD here (by Joe Capps?) but can't find it now. :confused:

There is a kind of sentiment expressed in the conclusion of Henry King's "The Song of Bernadette" that human suffering is a somehow co-related to spiritual enlightenment. This is not particularly a unheard of revelation, but it did seem slightly "out of the blue" for the wonderful pace and themes of the film. Other than that I judge this to be quite a masterpiece. Character development was quite minimized and you wonder where the 156 minutes went to its flies by so hurriedly. I was quite moved by Jennifer Jones performance and it is probably what she is best remembered for. I was reminded of other strongly spiritual films like "Ordet" (Dryer) and "The Gospel According to St. Matthew" (Pasolini). I recommend this film very highly. out of

The DVD:

Release Information:
Studio: Fox Home Entertainment

Aspect Ratio:
Full Screen (Standard) - 1.33:1
Edition Details:
• Commentary by Edward Z. Epstein (author of Portrait of Jennifer: A Biography of Jennifer Jones), John Burlingame (biographer of Alfred Newman), and biographer-historian Donald Spoto
• Unrestored theatrical trailer (1:28) and 7 other Fox Titles
• "Jennifer Jones: Portrait of a Lady" from A&E's Biography (44:24)
• Movietone newsreel (American GIs award Jennifer Jones) (:57)
• Restoration comparison (3:34)
• Full-screen format

DVD Release Date: June 3, 2003
Keep Case
Chapters: 20

This is a very strong offering from 20th Century Fox. A restored image that still shows some very slight damage, as well as similar flaws in the soundtrack (occasionally quiet and muffled 'hiss'), but overall a very acceptable disc. Great contrast, occasional film grain, sharp. Commentary and host of other Extras. A worthy representation of a fabulous film. out of . Gary Tooze

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Great screen shots Gary. I've got this and not only is it a great and moving film but Fox have done a wonderful job on restoring the film. It really does look magnificent.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Gary, thanks for posting!!!

Just got this in the mail and cannot WAIT to watch it. Those screen-caps look very well detailed. Looks like a good job from FOX.

!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Another recommended dvd release for Jennifer Jones fans is "Portrait of Jennie" made in 1948. I thought the movie had a wonderful dreamy 'other-world' quality.

A pretty unique film with a green tinted image for the last few scenes which I think was restored for the dvd release.

SteveP

Second Unit
A few initial engagements of PORTRAIT OF JENNIE, in 1948, showed the climatic green-tinted storm sequence on an enlarged MagnaScope screen with multi-speaker sound.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Another recommended dvd release for Jennifer Jones fans is "Portrait of Jennie" made in 1948
Oh, very much agreed. I haven't picked up The Song of Bernadette yet, but I love Anchor Bay's edition of Portrait of Jennie. It's been too long since my last viewing to comment specifically on the transfer; generally, I recall it as pleasant, but unexceptional. The film itself is a treat, though, and weird (Jennifer Jones plays her character both as a little girl and a young adult ... and it somehow works, even though you're cognizant of it). Fans of Ethel Barrymore (everyone, in other words :)), and Joseph Cotton (ditto), will find much to like in their scenes together.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks so much for the recomendation of Portrait of Jennie... I bought the Region 2 ( Freemantle ) DVD and was able to compare it to the Anchor Bay (Out of Print) Region 1 version...

My results are HERE if anyone is interested.

Marvelous film... one of my favorites now...

Thanks again!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Can't see why one would want to avoid the Fox Studio Classics line at all....terrific films with top notch transfers and copious extras for a dirt-cheap price. What would you rather buy, the Ultimate Edition of Patch Adams?? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks