What's new

Revelations (1 Viewer)

derek

Second Unit
Well yes I guess you could call it 'The XFiles of Faith.' Found the adult drama to be good with decent characterizations, attentive pacing, intriguing plot developments and some nice camera/visual work. The religious angles are interesting yet from my Christian perspective it amounts mostly to 'junk faith' - some Biblical truths mashed together with various religious and social traditions with a dash of the occult (hey is this The DaVinci Code? *lol*) Necromancy? Automatic writing? Get me Madame Seance while you're at it!
I really liked the opening with John RhysDavies exploring the Big Bang and origin of life. The whole 'faith vs. science, intelligent design, prime mover' arguments in cosmology/origins are really quite interesting and glad the show is opening them up to debate. Though ripping off Sir Fred Hoyles 'junkyard/747/buckingham palace' analogy and the brilliant scientist in a wheelchair (hello Stephen Hawking) were a bit too much.
With Dave Seltzer (the Omen films) at writing helm I don't expect much when detailing the truths of Biblical prophecy but the show does open up some interesting venues (faith/science) and incites good dialog regarding religious issues.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'm a sucker for shows based, even loosely, on lore, religions, and all that. I enjoyed it.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the show also, but how cookie cutter are the characters in this show?

There has been so many shows/movies done with the same type of characters. You have the guy who has lost faith or doesn't believe because a tragic event that took the life of a family member. You have the believer who's job it is to get the non believer to try and believe again.

Though I enjoyed the story and concept, the characters were something like, been there done that.

Paul

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was ok - so far. It IS just a TV movie, so I'm not expecting a real 'movie' story, so we'll have to wait to see what happens.

I know that there are at least 3 more episodes coming up. Does anyone know how long this is going to be on?

Also, did anyone see 'Left Behind' with Kirk Cameron? It came out in 2000. It was on a local 'religous channel' - and don't even ask me what I was doing there, but it wasn't that bad. In the beginning, God 'took' the ones he wanted, no matter where they were or what they were doing. Needless to say, there were quite a few car crashes when the drivers suddenly vanished. They showed an airliner suddenly losing passengers too. Quite funny in parts.

Glenn

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Not bad.... I'll probably watch it again next week. Although the characters are really boring.

Nice visuals though.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

:)

Always one of my favorite actors. Another reason to check out Revelations.

Regards,

Joe

P.S.

I love how they added the "s". Subtle clue that the show isn't actually based on the Biblical book? ;))

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how they are going to do this as a series, limited or not. I mean, how long can you drag out a story like this?

I asked because I was curious when the next shows would air. I see there is one next Sunday and 2 more on Wednesday. If they go past 6, I don't think I'll be sticking around. With just a couple of weeks until the May sweeps start, they're going to lose on this if they stretch it out - at least as far as I am concerned.

Glenn

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

I've noticed that myself and I also find it very annoying. It's the same thing with cop shows. You always have to have at least one cop who is old, crusty and/or cynical otherwise the studios would think no one would buy it.

Granted the daughter's off-screen death is an important plot device, but so could a lost parent. However, unlike the trauma of a lost child, we know our parents will most likely die before we will. After a certain period of mourning, most of us will live on without them. Bill Pullman's character could have been put in the same situation where he's a reasonably skeptical scientist but without so much emotional baggage. That could have made the encounter with Natascha McElhone's character slightly more confontational and much more challenging.

I'll watch a couple more episodes before deciding if it's worth watching or not. If I made all my TV viewing decisions based on the strength of a series' very first episode, I wouldn't have continued watching "Battlestar Galactica". :)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

It appears that the one on Sunday and the 1st one on Wednesday is a rerun of the 1st episode. (Looks like every Wednesday will have a rerun of the previous episode before the new episode, according to local schedules on zap2it.) Luckily, there are reruns on Bravo as well, as Wednesday is just crazy with too many overlapping programs now! (Will have to verify this as the zap2it local Bravo schedule shows it, but the print schedule doesn't.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
4/27/05

Now that they got the nun out of her habit, I might have to follow through and watch the remaining 3 episodes.

The whole step-son subplot mystifies me (probably because it's been ages since I've even been a part of discussing the book of Revelations.)

So now we got satanist exchanging bodies with the little girl. Oooo...creepy...

SarahG

Second Unit
Doesn't that kind of make you really want to keep watching?! Something about the show is a bit "creepier" and different from other TV shows-- that's actually what I find appealing about it!

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I know it's a religious themed show obviously but, is it put out by a religious group?

I noticed a "Pariah" tag at the end of the show. Anyone know anything about that group/studio?

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The show is definitely creepy. In fact, it's almost like a road accident. You're not sure you want to watch, but you can't help yourself.

Hopefully that doesn't mean we'll all turn into pillars of salt. Or in our case, pillars of silica. :)

SarahG

Second Unit
So did everyone watch last night?? Speaking of creepy....how creepy was the whole prison riot thing?!? The guy who plays the satanist does such an awesome job being so creepy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks