What's new

Revel speakers (1 Viewer)

Tom Smith

Auditioning
What are the thoughts on revels performas I am about to commit them read sssso many fantastic revues

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I've own the Revel F-30 for about three months. I found the midrange to be its biggest strength. Any review you may have read will attest to that. I also changed my speakers cable from Cardas to DH Labs Q-10 bi-wired.The Cardas seemed to roll off the high frequencies too much. The DH Lab give the low, mid and highs a better balance. I powered them with the Rotel 1095 (200x5@8ohm) but found at least in my room the speakers wanted more power. They are 6ohm speakers and the Rotel puts out about 250wpc@6ohm. I then picked up the Rotel 1090 (380wpc@8ohmX2) (500wpc@6ohmX2). This amp really released the potential of the Performs. Solid and clean detail at any volume level. Hope this is of some help. Anything else you want to know ...just ask.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
I've auditioned the M-20's and F-30's extensively.
If I could afford them I would buy them in a heartbeat.
I'm saving my pennies for the F-30s and a C-30, hopefully by next summer.
The 20's are not as "thirsty" as the 30's.
All audio gear is a very personal decision, but I think you're selecting the best in class by a pretty good margin.
Be aware that the break-in time for these guys is pretty long.
Go for it Tom!

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
I have been recommending the Performa series for about a year now. IMO, They are the best sounding speaker system in it's respective price range! It's about time the 2 big mags did a review on them! Home Theater gave them the 2nd highest rating I have ever seen for speakers. I too am saving my pennies for a F30/Voice Center/S30&M20's as rears/sides in a 7.1 setup. I found the Voice to be a much better center channel and on the used market they are reasonably affordable. That B-15 sub is HUGE too!!!!
My only complaint is the appearance of the F30's while unique is slightly odd!. When I did my auditioning I heard the M20's with an Aragon 8008ST and LOVED it. I heard the F30's with M.L. No 436's ($13K monoblocks!!) I heard them at 2 different dealers is the reason for the different set ups.
Darrel,
Did you try bi-amping the F 30's with the Rotel 1095? I am thinking of getting 2 1095's for my set up. Use 1 to bi-amp the F30's and the other for the 5 other channels.
Mike

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Mike
I thought about it, but my plans are to eventually use the F-30 in a stereo only room. And if I bi-amped them with the 1095 now, I'd have to pick up another two channel amp for the rear channels. So it seemed logical to get a big amp for the Revel now and then move it with the speakers later. Leaving the 1095s five channels for HT use again with my original speaker setup. I'm still trying to decide on which preamp for two channel listening. I'm leaning toward the VTL 5.5 preamp or the Linn Karin preamp. I'd like to try a tube preamp just to hear how Revel sound with tube equipment. The Linn Karin is a SS preamp and was recommended by the dealer as a good match. So I could take one home and play with it for a while. I have several hundred LPs in my closet that need to get out and get back into action. But they've been in the closet for about 12 years and aren't going anywhere.
Put up a post if and when you get your speakers. Hope you get them soon.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
yep they got a "97" rating from HT mag (which is very very good), sounds like a great set up. I got the b&w cdm7nt, and its set up got a "97" as well (for less $$). I hear that the revels and B&ws have similar characteristics.

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
Darrel,
For my proposed 7.1 setup, I was thinking of a Lexicon DC-2 and then getting an Adcom 750 Pre-amp or Bryston BP-25 for 2 cha. listening. The Adcom got excellent reviews from Stereophile and a few forum members gave the nod towards the Bryston. My 1 experience with the Rotel 1090 was with Paradigm 100v2's and I think it was more the speakers then the amp but that particular setup didn't impress me but I have heard the 1095 with Paradigms and really like it!
Rodney,
I have heard your B&W's at the same dealer as the Revels and I am not knocking the B&W's but they are NOT in the same class as these Revels. I actually seriously considered the same ones you have until I heard the Revels. I will even stand up and say the F30's are better then the N803's! The very specific characteristcs I look for in a speaker were not met with those B&W's but the Revel's did it perfectly. The driver configuration for the Performa series is the same as their BIG BUCK Ultima series. The cost reduction is in the cabinet design. If ya get a chance go audition the F30's and you'll see what I mean.
Happy listening
Mike

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Mike
Good to read your enthusiasm of such a great speaker. Before I picked the Revel, which took me over two years to find and decide on. And believe me I listened to everything that was available within 80 miles from my house. I would have even drove 81 miles if needed :) ! Only two speakers before the Revel got my interest. The Sonus Faber $10,000 Guarneri Homage. And the Vandersteen 3A Signature. My budget was $4000. So the SF were out. And if I was going to spend $10,000 I would have went with the Vandersteen 5s. I was sold on the 3As and was just waiting about a month to put down the cash. I had a chance to listen to the 3As with VTL MB-185 Monoblocks and the VLT 5.5 Preamplifier. In one of the best showrooms around the Seattle/Tacoma area. Advanced Audio in Tacoma. As soon as play was hit on the Wadia CD transport. The speakers and equipment disappeared. Everything fell behind and was placed throughout the soundstage. It was amazing! Nothing sounds like tube equipment! So, I was just waiting to have all the cash before the speaker purchase. Then by chance I was in North Seattle and happened in on Definative Audio. Wanted to listen to Dynaudio Contour 1.3 series speakers. The store didn't have that model but had the 1.8 MKII. So the guy or should I say "Guy" (that's his name) hooked up the 1.8 and I had a listen. I wasn't impressed. Muddy midrange and the soundstage just didn't work right. Not even in the Vandies league. I told the salesman "Guy" that I was leaning toward the 3As. He suggested the F-30s. So I listened. Now, that was more like it. After about an hour, the Vandies had competition. I have listened to the B&W and they are also a really good sounding speaker. But to my ears are too colored in the midrange. The Revel excel in open, clear uncolored midrange IMO. The upper end and bass take some power to reveal itself. Sorry to go on so long but a nerve was hit. Felt good!
wink.gif

Good luck all!
------------------
Enjoy the Toys!

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
glad you like the revels, I guess that is why everybody buys what they like (revels are great). I guess it was my own fault for bringing up B&Ws in a revel post (sorry). I have an uncle who has teh Salons for the mains and gems for the rears, and studios in another room/den. After hearing the new (back then) 800 series B&Ws he was more than a little upset that he bought the Revels. later he heard the CDm line and was very very impressed. He still loves his revels!!(I am not saying that CDMs are the best speakers, because they are more of a "budget" speaker, but getting a rating of 97 isn't too bad either).
as for vandersteens, too each there own. I have a pair in my "b" system now (My dad was looking to upgrade his 2s to 3ce signitures) and as he did more and more research/listening (I challenged him to just give the b&w cdm9nt a try), lets just say that he never looked and vandys again. then he trys to pon his Vandys on me, and I took them because I am a mooch, but I had to run out and buy the cdm7 when I heard the differnce in detail and clearity. Of course this is just my opinion, and I use a pair of old magneplaners for a shelf in the attic (seriously, I hated those things, and I got them before the internet was available and the used market was so good, good thing I have so much family who constantly upgrades and I get these for free). Now If I could just get some hand me down Mac amps.
btw, I have never heard your performas, but (If I remember correctly) the Salons are the top o the line, I was impressed, but not $20,000 impressed (or whatever they cost). Of course the guys that buy those don't worry about $$$, and they already have everything they want anyway.
ENJOY YOUR REVELS.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
btw, just because you heard the b&ws in the same show room, does that mean that they were using the EXACT same equipment, cable, and most importantly WERE THEY BROKEN IN???. also, after doing extensive testing, I can say that some rooms make certain speakers sound better than others, to certain listeners

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks