What's new

REUNION - Future DVD problem? (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I watched the premiere of the new Fox show REUNION last night. A good show so far, looks like it will be made for DVD since each episode is a year in the characters lives, sort of like 24.

BUT, I noticed there was a lot of music in it. Last nights episode was set in 1986 and it was all 80's music, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, A-Ha, and a lot more. One party scene had five or six songs.

I wonder if they cleared the DVD rights before putting them in there. Warner is producing the show and, I believe, the artists may have been Warner artists (I know Madonna is) so it may be okay. But, if not, it may have been a bad move to use them all.

Nothing ALL that important to the story, but it added something to the show.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am pretty sure they worked out the clearances in advance. Especially, since this show is only supposed to go one season. So Fox may look for another way of generating as much money as they can from the show...which a dvd release would help.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
If the show is successful, a second season might happen, just with a different cast.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
While watching the show I was thinking the same thing about the music and how would it affect it going to dvd. I thought that was one of the best things about the show, using music from the period just like the show "Cold Case" does. I was particulary impressed when they had that video of A-ha on the tv.

John*D

Second Unit
Cross your fingers and hope they cleared everything for DVD. 19 more episodes, right? I liked the music too!

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I've been watching the Gilmore Girls season 1 set and what's amazing to me is all the popular music on that set. I mean, John Lennon is playing as background music in a scene.

Has Warner ever replaced music yet? I'm sure someone might have an example, but there has been a ton of popular music on Gilmore Girls and Smallville and I haven't ever heard anything about replaced music in either of those shows. I've gone straight to some scenes in Smallville assuming I'm going to hear a different song than what originally aired, and I find the original music.

Friends has managed to keep the theme song intact for all 10 seasons. Amazing!

I'd be surprised if Reunion made it to DVD with any music changes.

What is Warner Bros. secret? Did they just know in the beginning to get this stuff cleared for home video?

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
The only time WB has replaced music (as far as I know) was for La Femme Nikita S2. The set was originally scheduled to release Summer 2004, but was pulled within a few weeks or so of release (after everything had been created) because of music rights for one song. That song was ultimately replaced, and it must have been a lot for that song since WB had to go through and redo all of the sets. Other than that excusable instance, WB has been the absolute best for music on TV DVDs. Look at Murphy Brown as another example. Twenty-something Motown original recordings plus Murphy singing the lyrics to herself at times must've cost a good bit, yet the set included all the songs and sells for an average of $22.50.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

There has been a problem with Cold Case in terms of music clearance that might carry over to Reunion. If the rights make the price too high for widespread consumer interest, they might not release it at all, like Cold Case.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I seem to think that the preview issues of EW and TV Guide both stated that while this storyline is only one season long, another season would either focus on one of the current characters or a new cast...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks