What's new

Return to the Planet of the Apes (animated) (1 Viewer)

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Very cool that this is finally seeing the light of day! One of the first TV show's on DVD I bought was Planet of the Apes Complete Series. I remember the cartoon. It will be fun to re-visit this short lived series.

This will be a nice piece to put into my collection...

James@R

Second Unit
I didn't care much for the new artwork for the films, but here the design looks rather nice. Great to hear so soon after the announcement of the animated Trek series.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have this set on dvd. It has been over 35 years since i remember watching the episodes as a kid. The only disappointed that the series did not end properly. The 13th episode has Bill and Cornelius coming back with proof about apes. i am always disappointed when shows are cancel or do not have a proper ending.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have been watching the return to the planet of apes on the weekend and love the show. The series was neat due to the fact it had apes driving cars. The previous apes movie and tv series had no cars.
The series was also interesting due to the fact they included the under dwellers in the set, like beneath the planet of apes movies. The under dwellers was well position based on survivors living underground. The krador character was neat as he had ability to use mind control to transport people to different areas of under dweller's facilities.
It was sad that only 13th episode produced, especially the last episode had the Bill and Cornelius coming back to the Ape City with the book. I tried to find unaired episode plots, but did not have much luck.. There was some information going around a data with Judy, but that episode was explained as name was changed to the unearthly prophecy.
I have all the planet of apes movies/tv series, except for two movies Planet of Apes (2001) and the Rise of the Apes. I am still a little hesitant to watch the rise of the apes as i prefer the original movies. I still ranked the original planet of the apes movie from 1968 as one of the best sci-fi movie ever produced!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by younger1968 /t/238599/return-to-the-planet-of-the-apes-animated#post_3920940
... I am still a little hesitant to watch the rise of the apes as i prefer the original movies. ...

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was last summer's most pleasant surprise. It's a top-notch sci-fi film on its own, and (unlike the Tim Burton debacle) it actually fits in with the original film. You should definitely watch it!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Craig S said:
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was last summer's most pleasant surprise. It's a top-notch sci-fi film on its own, and (unlike the Tim Burton debacle) it actually fits in with the original film. You should definitely watch it!
I have rise of the apes on my agenda along with The Thing, but the price is too high for the dvd. I will probably wait both shows out until the come down in price.
The return to the planet apes had similarities to movies/tv series, including Nova/Zira/Urko/Cornelius, etc. There was a bit more continuance with the return to the planet apes as compare to the 1974 series. The 1975 series was based around main actors Jeff/Bill/Judy helping humanoids. The series also brought in the character Brent and underdwellers (beneath the planet of the apes) to help with the plot lines. The show was very good, especially if you are a planet of the apes fan.
My only concern was the show did not get a proper ending. One could have suspicions about the effectiveness of the book being presenting the simian senate, especially when the book would be deeemed harasy. I could see Judy/Jeff rescuing Bill and Cornelius from Ape City as an episode along with Bill and Jeff finding away to get back home.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The animated show was interesting in that the episodes were all connected, and each week led into the next. Unusual for an animated show - especially one of that period - to do that.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a very pleasant surprise, and showed that the franchise has life left in it. After Tim Burton's disastrous 2001 film, most of us thought it was finished.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Sam Favate said:
The animated show was interesting in that the episodes were all connected, and each week led into the next. Unusual for an animated show - especially one of that period - to do that. 
Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a very pleasant surprise, and showed that the franchise has life left in it. After Tim Burton's disastrous 2001 film, most of us thought it was finished.
Hi Sam,
I have all the original Planet tv series and movies. I went to 2001 movie as was extremely disappointed with the plot and how much was thrown into the movie. The cartoon just gave the planet of the apes and different spin with having the apes drive cars. It was sad the cartoon only lasted 13 episodes, especially not having a proper ending. However, i still like the show for any other reason that it gave the planet of apes a different spin.
The 1974 TV series was ok, but i was not chronological and there were scenes when comments were made that were incorrect, like it has been awhile since i have seen a city. That comment was incorrect, because the astronauts seen the city in the Trap and then in the Legacy. There was also some issues with one prefact showed up in gladiators and then in the horse race and remembers the astronauts. So, i am not sure what the network was trying to do with TV series other then try to re-kindle the franchise and keep it going!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Once every so often i do a planet of Apes week as i fan as a kid. I have notice that series when it aired the episodes were out of sequence. I look at the back of the dvd holder and it shows the last episode as River of Flames. Based on the flow the last episode should have been the battle of the titans.
It is too bad the cartoon only had 13th episodes. I am sure there could have been a few more!!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
When I was a kid there was a TV station that showed a Movie every afternoon after school. Occasionally they'd "Theme" the week, devoting the entire week to a genre, such as Science Fiction Week, Godzilla Week, Animation Week and Planet of the Apes Week, among others. Today I have most of the movies they used to show on DVD, and every now and then I'll re-create those themed weeks, without the commercials! :laugh:

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Regulus said:
When I was a kid there was a TV station that showed a Movie every afternoon after school. Occasionally they'd "Theme" the week, devoting the entire week to a genre, such as Science Fiction Week, Godzilla Week, Animation Week and Planet of the Apes Week, among others. Today I have most of the movies they used to show on DVD, and every now and then I'll re-create those themed weeks, without the commercials! :laugh:
Yes, i remember the POA movies that were based on the TV series. I remember TRAP/Legacy being combined along with other episodes. There were 4 episodes never made into the movies: 1. Good Seeds 2. Deception 3 Liberator 4.The Curre
The cartoon was just a different spin. I think by 1976 people were done with the POA and needed a break. Spacecast in Canada used to do POA movie week and would aired the original movies at midnight.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I decided to watch return to the planet of Apes from start to finished this weekend. The episodes are well done, especially keeping the links between previous episodes. There are some issues, like the following;

1. Ronald Brent shows up only three times: 1. Journey to the Unknown 2. Attack from the Clouds 3. Mission of Mercy.

2. The last scene two scenes with Judy and Jeff scarying off the Apes and Bill and Cornelius carrying the book left the show open to interpretation on what happen to the characters. Is it possible the show thought they were going to get a 2nd season as such left cliff hanger for that purpose?

If there was 2nd season then i could see Bill and Cornelius being tried for heresy and Jeff/Judy coming to rescue them. I could also see missions on exploring the planet with the final plot that the astronauts find a space ship and make their way home!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
younger1968 said:
Yes, i remember the POA movies that were based on the TV series. I remember TRAP/Legacy being combined along with other episodes. There were 4 episodes never made into the movies: 1. Good Seeds 2. Deception 3 Liberator 4.The Cure...
And one of those four episodes didn't even air on CBS,and didn't get a U.S. airing until the Scifi Channel in the 1990's (although all 4 did air in Europe, first run and reruns)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I think there was also some confusion on return to planet of apes about a lost episode called a date with Judy. The date with Judy was actually the prophecy episode.

You had to wonder if the return to the planet of the apes was thinking it was going to get renewed for second season and it was not. Not many cartoons in the 1970s had second season. HB was not big on multiple seasons and i only remember a few shows that got 2 season and more like the following:

1. Wait till your Father Gets home

2. Scooby-doo

3. Banana Splits

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Wait Till Your Father Gets Home was syndicated for weekend prime time. While Banana Splits was given a second season, they merely shot more pieces with the guys in the suits performing although from what I've seen, H-B didn't make music videos, cartoons or Danger Island 2.

Networks were known for offering a second season deal, but a lot of time it was maybe 7 new episodes so they could at least advertise Sept - Oct as new! Star Trek The Animated Series had 16 episodes for season 1 and only 6 for season 2. Jackson 5 had 17 season 1 and 6 season 2. It didn't work like primetime. Same can be seen in Shazam and Isis episodes. It seemed easier for HB and others to pitch a variation of the show so the "second season" could at least get a full order. Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space made sure it wasn't just Josie's second season. Even Scooby-Doo had the movies with guest stars.

Hard to tell if anyone was hoping for a season 2 of Return to the Planet of the Apes.
younger1968 said:
I think there was also some confusion on return to planet of apes about a lost episode called a date with Judy. The date with Judy was actually the prophecy episode.

You had to wonder if the return to the planet of the apes was thinking it was going to get renewed for second season and it was not. Not many cartoons in the 1970s had second season. HB was not big on multiple seasons and i only remember a few shows that got 2 season and more like the following:

1. Wait till your Father Gets home

2. Scooby-doo

3. Banana Splits

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks