What's new

Retron 5 (1 Viewer)

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
The time is approaching, finally, for the Retron 5 to release. Being that I am a retro gamer, its release was exciting me more than the release of the PS4 or Xbone One. The current release is planned for April. Anyone else planning on getting one?

http://retron5.com/

elgobbes

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I pre-ordered mine in January from Amazon and haven't gotten any word on when they plan on shipping it out. I was impatient and bought one at a local video game store. So far I like it, but there are some issues.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
There are already several firmware updates, so be sure you apply them. They've already fixed numerous issues like Super Metroid not running, other compatibility fixes, and worked on several other issues.

elgobbes

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I did install the updates. I haven't been having too many issues with games not playing. The main problem is how difficult it can be to remove carts. The Famicom and Genesis are the worst. I think after a few months of usage it should improve. There are a couple of games that start to play, but the screen goes black at the title screen. Also I haven't been able to get Game Genie to work for GBA or NES.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Game Genie makes sense since you should get only the Game Genie menu. It doesn't interact continuously with the cartridge slot, it dumps the contents. So all it's extracting is the Game Genie screen where you enter codes before loading up the inserted cartridge.

It can run Game Genie codes independently though without the need of an actual cheat device. You'll want to download their database of cheats and select them from the Retron 5 menu.

http://www.retron5.com/cheats/

It's the same reason why the Super Game Boy and multicarts like Everdrives and PowerPaks don't work.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
I still haven't got my pre-order either, I'll going to check with my local game store and see if they have it. If they do I'll probably just buy it.

elgobbes

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I wasn't using an actual Game Genie. I downloaded and installed the SD card with the cheats. After I select the cheats I want and go back into the game, the cheats aren't active.

elgobbes

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Northgun said:
I still haven't got my pre-order either, I'll going to check with my local game store and see if they have it. If they do I'll probably just buy it.
I am hoping to get a black one soon. My whole set up is black with the exception of my Dreamcast.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a Retron so I can't check this, but wouldn't you need to activate GameGenie cheats before starting a game and not in the middle of it? That's how it worked on the old carts.

elgobbes

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Morgan Jolley said:
I don't have a Retron so I can't check this, but wouldn't you need to activate GameGenie cheats before starting a game and not in the middle of it? That's how it worked on the old carts.
I've tried it both ways and cheats still don't work for the NES. I think other people are having the same issue. It's not even something that I'll use too often, but it would be nice if it worked. My kids will need cheats more often than I will. These kids don't know what a challenging video game is. My 11 year old plays Minecraft and Lego games. He likes games where you can't lose.

Real Name
Roger
I pre-ordered mine through Amazon back in September last year, I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever ship as it has been listed as "We need more time to give you an estimated delivery date". I have a lot of Super Nintendo and Mega Drive cartridges still kicking around from my childhood, so I'm looking forward to how they will play on it. I'm hoping that the price of $76.19 from them will be honoured as getting one here in Australia is going to be significantly more expensive thanks to our "paradise tax" we have to live here.

elgobbes

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
hypnotoad8128 said:
I pre-ordered mine through Amazon back in September last year, I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever ship as it has been listed as "We need more time to give you an estimated delivery date". I have a lot of Super Nintendo and Mega Drive cartridges still kicking around from my childhood, so I'm looking forward to how they will play on it. I'm hoping that the price of $76.19 from them will be honoured as getting one here in Australia is going to be significantly more expensive thanks to our "paradise tax" we have to live here.
I got the same message from Amazon. Preorders from September have shipped in the US. They don't have enough consoles to fulfill all of the preorders however. There seem to be more gray than black, so if you ordered a black one, it may take longer to get it. I've read that Amazon won't be able to get all the preorders out until September, but I don't know if that is true. It is worth the wait. I got the Power Base Mini the other day, and Master System games look way better.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
LeoA said:
There are already several firmware updates, so be sure you apply them. They've already fixed numerous issues like Super Metroid not running, other compatibility fixes, and worked on several other issues.
I think Sonic & Knuckles was another game that was reported not working and has now been fixed from the update.

Users who are viewing this thread