What's new

Retro Game Storage Ideas (1 Viewer)

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
I am trying to organize my cartridge games and PS1 games. I am in need of drawer setups because the storage cases will need to be stacked on top of each other inside the cabinet I keep them in. What ways do you store your retro games? What ways do you store your rare/valuable retro games? Does anybody display their rare games?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
A big box in my basement. Atari 2600, Vectrex, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, PS, PS2, Jaguar, Wii. I don't know why I can't part with em but I can't.

Not sure why I didn't keep my genesis but I didn't.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A big box in my basement. Atari 2600, Vectrex, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, PS, PS2, Jaguar, Wii. I don't know why I can't part with em but I can't.Not sure why I didn't keep my genesis but I didn't.
No Colecovision? Quite a history of console developement. I did have my Colecovision console, but I finally got rid of it. I wasn't playing it and it got to be a hassle moving it around. I keep my old consoles until I get tired of shifting and dusting them.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I imagine it was fairly niche. It was pretty expensive, but it boasted the best graphics of the similar consoles (namely, the 2600 and the Intellivision). The graphics on arcade games like Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. seemed spot-on at the time, though they are not as arcade perfect as we imagined they were. It was my favorite of the systems, but I didn't have too many games for it.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Greg_S_H said:
I imagine it was fairly niche. It was pretty expensive, but it boasted the best graphics of the similar consoles (namely, the 2600 and the Intellivision). The graphics on arcade games like Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. seemed spot-on at the time, though they are not as arcade perfect as we imagined they were. It was my favorite of the systems, but I didn't have too many games for it.
Thats really something. Thanks for the info. Do you still play it at all?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Northgun said:
I never heard of colecovision. Was it a popular console?
It was not as popular as the Atari systems. I imagine it was a niche product compared to that. It wouldn't surprise me as I seemed to have the knack of buying into "niche" products. CED, Colecovision and the Commodore Amiga 2000 were all eventually failed products that I spent money on. My next console after Colecovision was the Genesis. I was going to buy the Saturn but decided not to. That turned out to be a wise decision.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Colecovision was the BOMB when it came out. Donkey Kong was as close to the arcade version as any console game of that era.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Aaron Silverman said:
Colecovision was the BOMB when it came out. Donkey Kong was as close to the arcade version as any console game of that era.
If I remember right, it was also the only way to get a true Pac-Man game. The 2600 version of Pac-Man was notoriously awful. My cousin still complains at spending $60 in 1983 or whatever it was on that one. some of you may be thinking "How do you screw up Pac-Man?" Atari where the masters at screwing up games. :)

The colecovision Popeye was really good to. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think Colecovision had a more processing power because it was originally intended to be more than just a game box. It was modular system that was expandable to a complete computer system with a full keyboard and (I believe) external storage. I think those items did become available as peripherals.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Edwin-S said:
It was not as popular as the Atari systems. I imagine it was a niche product compared to that. It wouldn't surprise me as I seemed to have the knack of buying into "niche" products. CED, Colecovision and the Commodore Amiga 2000 were all eventually failed products that I spent money on.My next console after Colecovision was the Genesis. I was going to buy the Saturn but decided not to. That turned out to be a wise decision.
Atari 5200 (still have it), 3DO (still have it), Amiga 1000, Amiga 3000.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yeah, the Colecovision was far beyond the Atari 2600 as a piece of technology. It's like comparing a PS3 to a Nintendo 64. (To be fair, it came out 5 years later.)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I almost bought the 3DO. The hype on that system was pretty extensive at the time, but a lot of the reviews of the games were pretty tepid toward most of them. I watched an episode of a show called "Extreme Collectors". On one segment they covered a fellow's game collection. The guy had 15,000 games covering pretty well every system, plus all of the hardware. He also had quite a few standalone arcade games. It was pretty amazing to see. The dedication to amass something like that is more than I could muster. The whole thing was assessed at 650,000.

Although, the piece de resistance for OCD collecting had to be the guy with a collection of 83,000 beer cans. One of the things was worth 10,000 dollars alone. The other funny one was a doctor who had a 10,000 yo-yo collection. The look on his face was priceless when the appraiser told him that a vase his wife bought him for 800 bucks, because it had a depiction of skeletons playing with yo-yos, was actually a 15th century Japanese vase worth 80,000 dollars.

I forgot that Commodore had put out the Amiga 3000. I looked at it, but by that time I had pretty well conceded that the PC was the way to go, because it was so dominant in the market.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Edwin-S said:
I forgot that Commodore had put out the Amiga 3000. I looked at it, but by that time I had pretty well conceded that the PC was the way to go, because it was so dominant in the market.
I was doing my doctorate on speech recognition and the PC wasn't yet there for digitizing sound as well as the Amiga. Sold off my Sega Genesis to help pay for the 3DO.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Russell G said:
If I remember right, it was also the only way to get a true Pac-Man game. The 2600 version of Pac-Man was notoriously awful. My cousin still complains at spending $60 in 1983 or whatever it was on that one. some of you may be thinking "How do you screw up Pac-Man?" Atari where the masters at screwing up games. :)

The colecovision Popeye was really good to. :)
I still have the 2600 Pac-Man and play it on occasion. Atari attempted to rectify the Pac-Man mistake with Ms. Pac-Man and Jr. Pac-Man but it wasn't quite the same.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Well I finally get it together I figured out how to store my games and still have them easily accessible without taking up more than the cabinet on one of my audio piers. I was looking a Blu Rays at Best Buy when I ran into a storage section where they had these leather bond storage drawers for CDs and one for DVD/Blu Rays. I picked up a bunch of both and sure them now. It has been far easier for my wife and I to get to our classics now. All we need is that darn Retron 5 to release so I can pack up some of the systems lol

Real Name
Roger
Can you post some pictures of these storage drawers to see what they're like please? Not having a "Best Buy" stores here in Australia, I'd love to get an idea of what they're like and see what's available here.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Northgun said:
I am trying to organize my cartridge games and PS1 games. I am in need of drawer setups because the storage cases will need to be stacked on top of each other inside the cabinet I keep them in. What ways do you store your retro games? What ways do you store your rare/valuable retro games? Does anybody display their rare games?
I've been wondering the same thing. ultimately I'll probably display everything on shelves just like my DVD collection, but safe from children's hands or pets.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Posten said:
A big box in my basement. Atari 2600, Vectrex, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, PS, PS2, Jaguar, Wii. I don't know why I can't part with em but I can't.

Not sure why I didn't keep my genesis but I didn't.
Where's your ColecoVision. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks