What's new

Resume Play,why can't HD do this (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
one of the few bad things about HDDVD and Blueray is the fact that theres
no Resume Play feature on HD Titles,Why is this,If you play a Disney title
and stop in the middle,your really are in for it,First the dvd has to load all
that stupid Java crap,then comes 8 trailors which you can't hit the menu
button on,so you have to keep clicking the chapter next button,till
you finally get to the menu.

While the stardard HD menu is lame,the design of going to the next menu
and so on,is simple and easy to do ,it makes sense so HD gets a Big +
for that,for not doing new menus for HD/DVD flippers HD get a big - for
that.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
i've noticed that on Dracula and Halloween, the disc is able to pick up where it left off, so I think it has something to do with authoring the disc rather than the players.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you get in the habit of using the "bookmark" feature, it'll act as a "resume" feature. I know HD DVD has bookmarks, but can't recall if BD has bookmarks.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
A handful of BDs have bookmarks.

Some BD players will resume play with some discs. I know the PS3 and the Panasonic BD10 resume play with Warner and Sony titles.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

It's not some players with some discs. The controlling factor here is if the disc was authored in advanced mode or not. Up until recently most blu-ray discs were not authored in advanced mode, so they would resume play. I believe that most if not all HD DVDs have been authored in advanced mode, which is why people thought that HD DVD players couldn't do resume play.

Bottom line, if it is and advanced mode disc, it won't resume.

Get used to using the bookmark feature.

Doug

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Well their advanced mode looks lame and doesn't look so advanced! :laugh: They should work on the resume feature. I have heard we are able to break atom and other stuff nowadays! ;)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yeah we can put a man on the moon but we can't resume our HD media! Whats the world coming too????

Doug

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Lack of resume is the only thing I hate about Blu.

Ive only had Blu for a few weeks but Ive never heard about the bookmark feature. I run a Sony bd301. Do I have bookmark?

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
It's incredibly lame and stupid. Simply no excuse for it. This is basic stuff, like sliced bread. True, it's a minor thing, but that's all the more reason it should be a no-brainer...something we should never have to ask for. Like expecting the light to damn well come on when you flip the frigging switch. This might be hi-def, but it still ain't rocket science.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm still not exactly sure why they can't resume in advanced mode, other than the fact that it has to load all this data into memory. I don't know why the disc can't play where you left off once the data has loaded.

Doug

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I wasn't aware of this. I'm so used to DVDs that I stopped watching, starting back up where I left off, I can't believe this feature would just be dropped.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
By not including the resume feature, they broke the one of the tenets of the unspoken code of technological advancement: offer at least what the predecessor offered, especially if people use/like that feature. Resume play was available on DVD, and is apparently used by quite a few of us, it should have been included in HD/BD. Period.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy my PS3/BD but this was a major gaff of an omission.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Again its not that they left it out, my SD DVDs resume in my HD DVD player, and some blu-ray discs that are not authored in advanced mode do resume in my blu-ray player.

There is some technical reason why HD DVDs and blu-ray discs authored in advanced mode don't resume. I have, however never heard the reasons why it doesn't work. I'm really only guessing about data needing to be loaded into the player's memory. But I'm not sure why that would have an effect on the ability to resume.

Doug

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

Bing! That's precisely the issue. The bookmark feature isn't nearly as quick or simple. It's hard to believe that programming all that goes into choosing the bookmark feature and implementing it, was less trouble than "resume play".

Jeez, you can resume play with a VHS, so long as it hasn't been rewound.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i'm going to assume that the reason is DRM. it's the only logical reason why developers would do it. maybe accessing the last-played point gives hackers a window to breaking the code or something? i can't imagine any other reason.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
My Pioneer dvd player lets me even take the dvd out of the player,and when
I put it back in,it goes to the same spot,

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Toshiba being the prime backer of HD DVD probably had something to do with it; many if not most of the standard Tosh DVD players I've owned or tried out lacked this feature, even on high end machines. Toshiba apparently doesn't believe it's an important feature, and didn't make any effort to require it in the HD DVD specs. They were wrong.

What Blu's excuse is, I have no idea.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
This is a madhouse. A MADHOUSE!!!!

Seriously. . .we can store our own clip shows and synchronize viewings with online buddies, but can't resume play of a stopped disc? Stop trying so hard to come up with anything NEW and instead get something USEFUL working!

With a 2-year-old around, this is a serious issue!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks