What's new

Restoring luster to the silver screen (1 Viewer)

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
From The Christian Science Monitor Blog -

I like some of these suggestions and I agree that the onus is largely upon theater owners to increase moviegoing attendance, not the studios (granted, independent theater owners have a bit more leeway than the chains might, but I doubt that the chain corporate headquarters would be against anything that increased business). Naturally the studios and distribution companies shouldn't be getting in the way of the theater owners' ability to increase business (which they often tend to do since they still want to monopolize the entire experience like they once did) and should instead be working in conjunction with theater owners for mutual benefit.

Anyone else have any suggestions that could make theatergoing more enjoyable?

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I guess it's not so much of an additional idea as much as a re-emphasis on the first suggestion on the list. Theatre owners really need to take control of the theatres...hired bouncers or ushers who could police the individual theatres and get rid of talkers and rude people is the most important thing.

I can't even count how many movie experiences I've had ruined because of crappy people who don't know how to shut the hell up.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Let me add my voice to the choir.

Reduce ticket prices.

Stop advertising pre-shows.
Stop advertising and commercials entirely.

Initiate NO TALKING policy with signs posted everywhere and a verbal reminder when you buy the ticket and another verbal reminder when the usher tears the ticket.

Initiate a NO CELL PHONES policy and enforce it, also include a cell phone scrambler in the building so that it doesn't work anyhow.

Get rid of the flat matte screens and re-install silver screens which give a brighter, more luminous picture. Silver screens only cost a few dollars more.

Designate a repatory auditorium in the multi-plexes so that restorations and old films can be routinely re-released. Designating one auditorium for old films, art films, foreign films, restorations and re-releases should be promoted so that the movie-going public makes a habit out of attending. Watching old flms on the big screen will also have the healthy effect of exposing how stupid new films are in comparison.

Another thing that would vastly improve the movie-going experience: fire all the studio executives and replace them with knowledgeable film buffs from Home Theater Forum. That would result in better movies being made and screened.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I don't need an usher to help me to tell people to shut up during movies. I can do it myself. A good "Hey! Shut the hell up" will usually work. :)

The real reason attendance is dropping is because ticket prices are percieved as being too high and because everyone knows that a movie will be out on DVD in under six months if they don't see it in a theater.

And studios are crying about attendance dropping, it's not like movie theaters are empty. Even on the most uneventful weekend, any big theater will always be crowded. They're not making as much as they used to but I doubt they're going on welfare anytime soon (especially when you consider their other sources of revenue such as DVD). Between their take on tickets and the concessions, theater chains aren't exactly destitute either. The business is changing but they're still an over billion dollar a year industry and that's just in the U.S.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I dunno about a no tolerance policy. For some films I think it's important. but if a group of us are going to watch the 40 years old virgin, and I wanna make a hilarious sarcastic comment to the person next to me it should be perfectly acceptable. And I don't really mind if some kid shouts YEAHH or something, especially in a comedy.

Cell phones, I can't stand... especially the "time checkers" that are always looking every 10 minutes. :angry:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, most people's hilarious sarcastic comments aren't nearly as hilarious as the commenter thinks.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
These are all good ideas to bring people back. But one of the largest American chains just implemented a policy change which has driven me AWAY from their theaters. AMC has quietly changed the matinee cutoff time on weekends from 6 PM to 4 PM. Imagine my shock yesterday when I went to buy a ticket for the 4:25 showing of Transamerica and was charged a full $8.50!! This is a horrible, anti-consumer move. I see 60-70 movies a year in theaters, almost all at matinee price on Saturday/Sunday afternoons. I guess AMC just got cut off my list of theaters to frequent. I imagine some beancounter in corporate came up with this brilliant idea. Stupid, stupid bastards.

Ya know, I find the constant mobile checkers to be MUCH more annoying than the occasional phone that rings. I actually see a lot of folks these days turning their ringer off before the show. That message is getting out. But when someone opens their phone in the dark, the bright screen light draws your eye no matter where it is in the theater. I don't know if these people are checking the time, texting, or what. But geez, PUT THE F*&%IN' PHONES AWAY FOR TWO HOURS!!! You WILL survive, I promise!! (I personally NEVER take my cell phone into the theater)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I figure that's splitting the difference after acquiring Loews - I noticed that the matinee cutoff at the AMC/Loews Harvard Square theater went from 2pm to 4pm this weekend.

It also may just be that individual theater - I paid the $7.50 matinee price at the 5pm show of Failure to Launch at AMC Fenway this weekend, and I'm pretty sure that AMC/Loews Boston Common is still cutting off at 2pm.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
No, I checked with another AMC house I occasionally visit. Apparently it's Houston-wide.

I guess I can't complain too much, considering you guys in Beantown are paying $7.50 for matinees. And for FtL to boot. My condolences. ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hey, at least we're not New York. I used to get coupons for Loews that were good for one admission, except in NYC, where they wanted another $1.50.

Movie prices are kind of crazy here. The second-run houses cost $6.50 evenings and weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks