Resolution for smaller LCD sets -- 1080p coming?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Todd K, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Hello,

It seems all you see on smaller LCD sets is 720p (or 768 lines or whatever), but the trend for larger TVs now seems to be 1080p.

Will eventually everything be 1080p, or will smaller sets continue to be 720p? I don't want to buy one and then six months later find out I could have had something better.

(And of course, feel free to chime in that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on that size screen anyways, if that's the case.)

Thanks everyone for your attention.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    You will never see the difference between 720p and 1080p, on a small tv. The smaller the tv, the sharper looking the picture is. Picture on a 13" crt looks almost like HD, but not on a 32" set. There is no need for 1080p on small tvs.....

3. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Ok, fair enough. But since 1080p seems to becoming the standard these days, do you think they'll start making small sets 1080p as well just for uniformity's sake?

4. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I doubt it. But you never know. Not all decisions are smart ones.
    I would think that it's more expensive to build a 1080p set, which means it'll cost you more. Since you can't see a difference, I just don't see it happening......