What's new

Reservoir Dogs is it good and worth $7.99? (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I saw this at Best Buy when I was buying Snow White. They had it for $7.99 I have never seen it so I wondering is it worth it? How is the transfer, audio and storyline?

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the movie is pretty good, though a rippoff of City on Fire of some sort, and certainly worth the $8.00 price tag.
I havn't seen the DVD, so I can tell good or bad about the DVd.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Transfer: Below par, but still reasonable.
Audio: Good.
Storyline: If you liked Pulp Fiction, you'll like this too.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Well, you could always wait until next year for the Director's Cut SE; I think there will be something like 15 mins. of footage re-inserted. I have no clue if the disc will be a seamless branching deal though.
And while we're on the subject, does anybody know of the supplemental content that will be on the SE?
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The plot of the movie is about a jewellery robbery that goes wrong. The gang members (known by their code names of colours - 'Mr Pink' etc) - or what's left of them - hide out in a warehouse and then the recriminations start. A cop is held captive and tortured. Then you get the denoument.
The movie itself tends to polarise people into those who love it and those who hate it. I'm in the latter camp - to me, it's too derivative, uses swearing and violence to needless excess and has, at the heart of it, a very banal plot and, frankly, no real 'message'. Others will take issue with this and say that the derivative sections are a deliberate homage, the swearing and violence make points about the desensitisation in modern society, and that the plot is profound.
If memory serves me correctly, the title comes from Tarrantino's days working in a video store, when he supposedly pronounced 'Au Revoir Les Enfants' [a heartbreaking movie but well worth seeing, incidentally] as 'Reservoir Dogs'.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I really enjoy Tarentino movies and reservoir dogs is no exception. As far as the DVD is concerned, I haven't bought any of his films on DVD yet because they are barebones and am waiting for a special edition release of any/all of his movies. I think I'll be waiting for quite a while. Buy it for $8.00 if you haven't seen it and think you may like it. If you don't like it, sell it. Remember, you only paid about the price of a movie ticket to own it so no real loss.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
Transfer: C- just passing
Audio: C
Movie: C- Pulp Fiction makes this look like an amateur movie. It grows very monotonous IMHO with no care for the characters (unlike Pulp)

Mariano

Agent
One of my favourite movies and one of my first dvds !!
Although there are romours of a SE for next year, i think is a must buy for 8 U$S.
You won't regret !!!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It was shot in Super 35. The theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1 and this is the version you should watch, although both versions are presented. The 1.33 version has more image at the top and bottom but loses image from the sides.
The DVD is not anamorphic, but looked decent to me. It's been several years since I watched the DVD, but for that price it's well worth picking up. Even if you decide you want the SE later on, you'll still be able to get a minimum of $5 out of the old one.
Jeff

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Reservoir Dogs is one of my favorite movies.... I would even place it slightly above Pulp Fiction. But I don't own the DVD of either of the films... for $7.99, it is well worth it just to see it (Blockbuster rentals are almost $4).
------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

I think this movie is a must see. It is not a movie that I would want to watch a number of times. Pulp Fiction was and is my favourite movie experience. In contrast Resevoir Dogs was a fantastic film that I had trouble watching due to the content. This is a compliment to the impact of the film (RD)not a criticism.
Regards
Emmett

JaimelM

Agent
I saw a documentary of Reservoir Dogs 9 years ago
on Showtime. Tarantino said he took out some scenes
from the robbery he said not showing it had a better
effect on the flow of the film. I think half of those 15
minutes of the deleted scenes are from that.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Waiting and waiting for the Resevoir Dog special edition.... When does it come out again? Arrrrgghh :angry:
By the way, I think Pulp Fiction wasn't that great.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I absolutely loved this movie. I think other than Pulp Fiction that it is Tarantino's best film. It is very graphic and alot of swearing but I reall really like this movie. About a year ago I was sick for about a week and watched it 3 days in a row. And for $7.99 it is definately worth it. Who know's how long it will actually be until the SE edition will be out so if you want to see this movie spend $7.99 and get it. It's only $4.99 more than a rental and you don't have to worry about late fee's. And as far as the picture goes, it is not anamorphic, I have to go into my dvd players set up menu and change some settings to view it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks