What's new

Rescue Me Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Duane R

Second Unit
Watching a rerun of The Shield last night, I caught the promo for S2, which is supposed to start on June 21. Anybody have any thoughts on what direction this season will go?

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I was just wondering when (if) it would come back. Thanks for the info.

Last we left, his wife left town and he transfered to another station correct?

Duane R

Second Unit
His wife booked and he put in for a transfer, but the outcome was to be determined, IIRC.

Duane R

Second Unit
Just a bump for the premiere, which is in two days. I wonder how Tommy will get along with his new co-workers, and what will become of things with the widow and the new baby on the way?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the reminder, I better go home for lunch and set up the DVR. The box set was supposed to have a preview of Season Two, but mostly it showed season 1 highlights. i don't think it takes long for Tommy to get transferred back.

As hot as his blonde wife is, I have had a thing for Callie Thorne since she was on Homicide, so I hope Tommy's affair with her doesn't end anytime soon.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Rescue Me's new season started with a big bang that grabs you within the first 30 seconds and doesn't want to let you go. When it was over, I had to actually check my watch, because it didn't feel like an hour had passed by.

A lot of developments have happened, and Tommy is now working out of Stanton Island's Ladder 73, whose pool of fire fighters actually have a jar for people who swear. He has to cough up a dollar for every time he does it in their prescence, so he's now even more miserable, especailly since they haven't had a real fire since he's started there.

Meanwhile, all of his old co-workers are having their own set of problems, which I will not give away due to the fact that not only am I tired, but the fact that they need to be seen to be believed. Tommy has two other problems though, he is still stuck on that bottle and he has no idea where his kids are, since his wife scooped them away from him.

A great season premiere, and from the barrage of clips from future episodes, I'm looking forward to all the new developments that will be arising.

My rating: ***1/2 out of ****

Also, for anyone who was watching, did you catch the Nip/Tuck ad? It'll be interesting to see what they come up with this season. Septemeber doesn't seem so far away now to me.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The Season premiere of Rescue Me was more then I expected. Seeing Tommy stuck in that S.I. fire house was hilarious, but how much he has fallen is another story. I look forward to seeing him get better and getting back to the other house. Everyone else's story is pretty much just as bad. Something good has to happen at some point

capt

Duane R

Second Unit
I liked the exchange with his cousin at the diner. His bro is tired of his crap and cut him off. He did make the AA meeting, so hopefully he'll turn a corner and get things back to the way they were (or at least headed that direction).

StephenA

Screenwriter
The diner scene was funny, especially when everyon started looking. I also liked the part with Tommy and his brother at the police station when the 2 guys tried to help. I thought the part right before he decided to go to AA was played out good as well.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Great start to the new season. I'm still discovering The Job on DVD, and will then catch up on Rescue Me season one on disc. (I did watch the pilot with the commentary track to get ready for S2.) That should keep me occupied in the long week between new S2 episodes. :)

Lou can't catch a break, can he? He gets rid of his crazy wife and that costs him the hot new girlfriend. *sigh* I still say he had the best single line of last of last season. ("You guys need boxes?")

Later,

Joe

Duane R

Second Unit
6/28:
It looks like Tommy made the ex rabbit off into the night (again). I liked the ribbing he gave mullet boy, too. It looks like probie is going off the deep end over getting dumped by tons 'o fun, too. I wonder what's up with the stalker and Teddy? Bookie, perhaps? Looking forward to next week when Tommy's Dad returns...

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I can't see Tommy going back to his wife the way she's been treating him - although he's messed up enough that he'll try before realizing she's a lost cause. However, I like this conflict about getting the kids back.

Really great episode.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
The Pole Smokers line was hilarious and when Tommy breaks Mulltet boys window after he makes him say uncle had me in tears. Man this show has some great Laugh out loud moments.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Funniest scene of the episode: A tie between Tommy and the Jewish cop and Sean and Lou going to the wrong house.

Saddest scene of the episode: A tie between Tommy's daughter calling him and the chief's wife attacking him in the middle of the night.

Cheapest gimmick of the night: Tommy's visions of Christ's blood on him whenever he wants a drink. In the first season, the visions of his cousin killed on 9/11 and others he couldn't save made sense as a response to trauma. This one feels like a writer's gimmick.

Biggest waste of acting talent: Callie Thorne, an actress who can be fun to watch with decent material (which she had last season), reduced to playing a hormonal harpy.

M.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Does anyone remember what music was featured in this episode? I seem to remember some, but I was so tired at the time that I have no clue when it might have been.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yeah, let's just write off her whole season after two episodes. Obviously she can't possibly get more to do in later episodes that focus more on her character. :)

Sorry, I don't see the crucifix as being any more of a "gimmick" than the ghosts from last year or any less organic to Tommy's character. It is a perfectly sensible manifestation of the Irish guilt the Jewish cop refers to at the top of the episode.

Regards,

Joe

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That's exactly why I find it weak -- because it's generic. In the past, Tommy's "visions" have been tied to something specific: someone he failed to save, someone who died when he didn't. Blood dripping from the crucified Christ is about as trite a symbol of guilt as I can imagine, especially for someone whose only connection to the church is that it's part of his community. (If his cousin/sponsor were still a priest, it might make more sense.)

I'll be curious to see where they take this, but at the moment they appear to be giving Tommy visions simply because he's had them in the past (something like the "opening death" scene in Six Feet Under, which has gone from a plot device to a routine gesture).

M.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

His connection to the church is that it is part of him, not his community. He was raised in the church, and whatever his doubts, the emotional tie is still there. (They aren't kidding when they say, "Give me a child until he is five and he is mine forever." :)) Nothing external (least of all his cousin the ex-priest) has anything to do with any of this - and if it did it would be less believable as a genuine reaction on Tommy's part.

Regards,

Joe

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
But that doesn't necessarily lead to visions, which is why it strikes me as a continuation of an established narrative trick rather than a revealing of character.

As I said, I'm curious to see where (if anywhere) they take this.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks