What's new

Requiem For a Dream Differences (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The edited version

mainly removes eight shots of the sex toy during the finale.

Also, the edited version has no extras other than trailers and television spots while the original theatrical cut (director's cut) version is a special edition with tons of great extras.

Horatio Jones

Stunt Coordinator
well im ade the mistake of getting the edited version, should I take it back? am I really missing that much. not talking extras just the movie footage itself.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
As Matthew already stated, the only changes of any difference are in the sex scene near the end. You can read even more here:
Link Removed
If you liked the film and want to keep it, I can't imagine wanting the compromised version with less extras.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I'd take it back also. Since the director want the movie released unrated to theaters, I'd say that the R-rated DVD is a misconceived product. I'd go for the unrated version.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
I was finally coming around to pick this up from suggestions, when I realize it comes in two versions. Rated R and U-Rated(Directors Cut). Now it has been my expierience that directors cut are not always the better movie. I have never seen it at all, so I am asking for fans of the movie to give me your opinion which two versions do you think is the better movie. I want to pick it up this weekend, Thanks!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The Rated R version was edited so that Blockbuster and Wal mart would carry it. The R Rated version is also bare bones, where the unrated directors cut is a quite nice special edition.

Go with the directors cut all the way. Honestly, I am not sure what was cut in the R rated aside from the scene near the end, but i believe it was pretty extensive.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
DIRECTORS CUT....director would not allow special features on R version...it was basically made just for blockbuster...i believe the only difference is in a sex scene for like 3 seconds....

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Also, the unrated version is the version that was released in theaters IIRC.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Also, the unrated version is the version that was released in theaters
That's correct. Unlike most "unrated" DVDs, which add material not originally included in the theatrical release, the unrated version of Requiem for a Dream is the original theatrical release. Therefore, I recommend avoiding the R-rated version.
Great movie, by the way. Not for all tastes, mind you, but extremely potent filmmaking.

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator
Aranofsky has a very good foregrounding style. This movies editing alone is brilliant. I literally do not like this film, yet I enjoy eatching it just because of how it was filmed and edited. Brilliant. The social message is important, but too heavt at times.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Of course get the unedited version. Although really only a couple seconds were taken out, the unedited version has all the special features, and I don't even think there is a price difference.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was finally coming around to pick this up from suggestions, when I realize it comes in two versions. Rated R and U-Rated(Directors Cut).
I've merged your question into one of several prior threads on the subject. The search function answers many questions.

M.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
If I remember correctly, someone reported that the opening titles of the edited version actually say "Requiem For A Dream Edited Version".

Aronofsky was so disgusted by having to cut the film that he made damned sure that anyone shopping at Blockbuster or Wal-Mart knew that they were getting an inferior release. I can't think of any other instance of a director putting "Edited Version" in the opening titles.

Jeff

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i rented this the other day.
got it at BBV
oddly enough i noticed last week that it was the unrated version thats why i picked it up.
this may have been there for awhile as i havent even thought to look at it because of thinking it probably was the edited version.
the menu is nutty.
wasnt sure what was going on at first.
what friggen nightmare of a story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks