What's new

Request Regarding Spoiler Blocks In Official Discussion Threads (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'd like to ask the mods if it's OK to request that no spoiler blocks are used in disussion threads since, IMO, they are not needed at that point.
I cannot read spoilers since I am using WEB TV and I figure if you are in a discussion thread, you have seen the film so spoiler blocks are not needed.
It's a bit difficult to discuss a film when you don't know what's being discussed!
Just a suggestion from a spoiler-challenged HTF'er.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tino,

Regarding this subject matter, I will give you my opinion while I'm sure some other moderators will chime in with their take on this issue. I've always believed that once a thread is designated as an official discussion thread for a particular movie then any member who reads the thread without seeing the movie first, does so at their own risk. The whole purpose of discussion threads is to have in-depth discussion about a movie which entails plot lines, characters, film ending, and etc. etc.

However, official review threads should have spoilers because the main motive behind review threads is for members to read other member reviews of a movie to see if it fits their fancy without having any of the intricate film details spoiled by revealing them in the review thread. Discretion in revealing plot details should always be a main consideration by anyone that posts their reviews in such threads.

Crawdaddy

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I absolutely agree regarding REVIEW threads. Spoilers should definitely be used there.
DISCUSSION threads, by definition, are for discussing said films. Spoiler blocks suggest that the film hasn't been seen, which should not be the case if you are in a discussion thread.
I really feel that this is a reasonable, logical request and I am eager to hear what the other Admins. think of this.
Could it be possible that someone might be against this???:)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I will agree with Robert that there are just some places that when a member goes to read it they so at their own risk (i.e. Survivor thread late Thursday nights). Spoiler blocks are not needed. However there are still times they should be used in other areas. Tino, what do you want from us? Remove spoilers when we see them?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Frank
What I think would be a good idea is when a thread is made into an official Discussion thread, it is usually done so with a post by an administrator.
Perhaps within that post, adding a statement saying that spoiler blocks are not needed since this is a discussion thread.
That would work, no?:)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
In an Official Discussion thread I sure don't have a problem with that. Lets let others chime in and see what they think.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Sounds very reasonable to me too.

In Review threads, spoilers should be avoided, but spoiler blocks used as necessary.

In Discussion threads, spoiler blocks don't make much sense.

(As long as I haven't seen a movie, I hate reading discussions anyway, because I prefer to know as little as possible about a movie when I first see it - e.g. I even don't want to know there is a twist ending!)

Cees

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't see any reason not to add something to the standard message for official discussion threads saying that spoilers aren't needed in such threads. But if people happen to use them anyway, I don't plan to do anything about it. (Well, maybe if there's nothing else happening on HTF that day. Sure, it could happen. ;) )
M.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Just as long as it doesn't carry over into Pre-release discussion (the Episode II thread is bad enough as it is :)), I don't have a problem with this.
I never read any Discussion of a film I haven't seen and want to see.
Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks