What's new

ReplayTV & Progressive Output (1 Viewer)

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
Comparing a DirecTiVo to either a Replay or a Standalone Tivo isn't exactly fair. The data coming from the dish is compressed (MPEG-2 I believe, but may be wrong) a DirecTiVo simply saves the stream. Therefore plaing back should be identical to ehat was seen live. (assuming the same path from the dish to the display is followed.)

A standalone unit needs the converter box to expand and decode the signal so that it can encode and compress it again. This actually creates problems that even the best encoders can't fix. everyone is using lossy compression, data from the original source is simply tossed away. The theory is that the tossed date will be inperceptable to the human eye, and they are pretty much right. The problem is that the encoder in the standalone unit's encoders are affected by the lost detail.

There are some specific artifacts that occur from compressing-decompressing-recompressing even in pure digital, so like I said the standalone units are at a disadvantage. I couldn't begin to guess how a standalone pulling off a dish compares to a standalone pulling off a digital cable box.

Anyone interested in giving me a research grant??

>>The output is only progressive for the menu, freeze frames,
>>and the picture viewer, but not for recorded material

You just have bad information, or are confusing the source material with the output. On my monitor, I can tell when the signal is 480p and 480i. The Replay component output does NOT switch to 480i; it is always 480p. The Replay only records 480i SOURCE material, but that has nothing to do with the signal it puts out over the component outputs. Just because it is 480i source material does not mean that the output is 480i.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, Art, but the output is not progressive, no matter how much you want to believe it is. I would think the previous owners of the machine(Sonic Blue)would know.

Just because it is 480i source material does not mean that the output is 480i.
Well, if it comes in as 480i and the Replay does not further process the video(de-interlace), then how can it be anything else?

DJ

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The ReplayTV FAQ site has some bad info (which previously confused me), contradicted by the ReplayTV company site FAQ. The video is line doubled on output, that makes more sense to me.

>>I'm sorry to burst your bubble, Art, but the output is not progressive

The component output is a 480p signal. My TV monitor automatically goes to full mode with a 480p signal, and it does so with the component output of the Replay. My PC monitor identifies it as a progressive signal. I believe that is stronger empirical proof than your mis-reading of something in the FAQ and a vague reference to someone at Sonic Blue telling you something.

I think you are confusing the output signal with the source material. The Replay MPEG files is encoded as a 720x480 frame size, 29.97 frame rate, interlaced top field first. But I can output those mpeg files at any size, or as interlaced or progressive, as I choose. The component output of the Replay is 480p. If you don't believe me, hook up a PC monitor or a scope and measure it.

Oh, and if the output is interlaced for menus and freeze frames, are you suggesting that output switches between 480p and 480i? Or that when a menu that comes up over a recording you are viewing the picture is partly 480p and partly 480i? It just doesn't work that way.

Users who are viewing this thread