What's new

Replacing current receiver - suggestions please (1 Viewer)

JohnDR

Auditioning
I need to replace our current receiver. When in surround mode the volume drops and will stay low for long periods of time. We have to switch to TV, FM, AM and other modes and eventually by bouncing around, it will come back up to where it should be. It's intermittent at the moment but getting progressively worse.

My system includes
JVC RX774V receiver - probably 8 years old
Pioneer CD/DVD player DV-R727 (300 cd/dvd unit)
TIVO unit - probably 8 years old
TV Pioneer SD582HD (58 inch projection television)

Speakers
KLH AV5001 (two main speakers)
JBL SAT125 (center speaker)
JBL SUB125 (powered sub speaker)
KLH 911H (two rear speakers)

I have enjoyed this JVC receiver and have had little to no problem with it. Although I don't use all the options and honestly don't understand all of them. I am usually playing CDs or watching TV/DVDs. So most of the time it's in surround mode. Our loft is set up as our home theater. It's a perfect space except the rear speakers sit directly behind your head on a sofa table. Like everyone else, I'd like the system to sound like the movie theater and have the base and sound that makes you feel like you are in the show, not just watching it.

I was considering the JVC RXD302B 770W 7.1 receiver at BestBuy as the replacement. I would like to go to the 7.1 system but have a few questions.

#1. I'm expecting to pay about $400 for a receiver, is there a better choice that I should be looking at? What features, based on what we do should we be considering?

#2. I would consider upgrading my speaker and would be happy to get rid of the large tower speakers, but I don't want to put tons into a new speaker system.

Should I consider one of the bose speaker systems or possibly the JBL SCS200.7 system at BestBuy or should I stay away from that retailer completely?

Although I know how to hook everything up, I'm definately no expert on teh technology and would appreciate any suggestions and ideas you may have.

Thanks,
John

FeisalK

Screenwriter
John, if you want to stick with JVC they have a new batch of receivers that are highly regarded for around $300 (RX-D302)

if you fancy a change then the Panasonic XR55 is great value at a little over $230.

These are the new digitally amplified receivers which sound as good as normal receivers you will get at about twice their price.

This leaves you with a bit more $ to put into new speakers, and its better to spend more on speakers, because they - unlike receivers - don't get obsolete within 2 years

(chances are, manufacturers will come out with new features that will render your new receiver obsolete within one year. for example, just last week, the HDMI 1.2 spec was released, rendering all HDMI 1.1 receivers somewhat obsolete)

so, spend a bit more on the front speakers, and match the center to the front L/R. Worry about the surrounds when you have extra cash.

p.s. the Bose looks good, but aren't really worth that much - unless you are loaded and are willing to pay for branding and (their) marketing.

Mark*M

Auditioning
I have read over at the AVS Forums that it is pretty hard to go wrong with Pioneer's 1014 and 1015 Receivers. They run in the 400.00 range.

Rick_B

Auditioning
Similar question for me...

My prior home theater routed all components through my receiver via component video which at the time was top of the line.

My new HD TV has a HDMI connection so I'd like to take advantage of that connection. When I search for components that use it, I find primarily HD receivers and DVD players but very few receivers.

Has there been a change of philosophy regarding routing components through the receiver? Seems like even relatively high end units are still using component video.

It is such a huge advantage (as I see it) to have just one cable running to the TV.

With most TVs having just one HDMI cable connection, how are most of you connecting both your cable box and DVD player???

Just trying to catch up with the technology

Thanks!!!

JohnDR

Auditioning
I use the RCA output jacks on my television and run them to the TV input on my receiver. The speakers on the TV are then turned off and the entire television sound (or dvd sound from a movie) play through the receiver.

I have RCA output jacks on the receiver for the sub. While my sub does have RCA jacks, I don't use them. I've never gotten good bass from the sub that way. So I always connect the speaker wire directly to the sub and then back to the speaker. I don't know if the new JVC receiver I referrenced or if other new receivers will work better using the RCA cord. Which way is better for overall sound?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I think you'll find that Dolby Prologic II on the new receivers is miles ahead of the original prologic, and TV sounds a whole lot better.

as for the LFE connection, it isn't wrong for you to use the speaker connections... whatever sounds best to you works but the LFE out using RCAs is worth a try - the DSP chips for bass management would have been improved since you had the JVC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks