What's new

replacing 5 year old Optoma HD8000 need some direction (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Is it just me, or is no progress being made in this thread? The old projector doesn't matter anymore. What screen size do you want NOW?

nick0814

Agent
Real Name
Nick Gootee
you are right.. I'm not set on getting a new screen but the one I have is this size because its the largest I could use with my projector.. height is no issue for me but I can only go about another 8-10" wider without having to move my left and right speakers, If I was going to move the speakers I'd want a screen big enough to cover the holes.. but that's not my main goal right now, I want to get a new projector and put my 42" TV back in my bedroom haha

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Acoustically Transparent The screen type of choice for those that want maximum deference to the audio side, without giving up picture.

nick0814

Agent
Real Name
Nick Gootee
ahh ok that makes sense.. but since there was a bedroom on the other side of the wall I went with hanging surface speakers not in wall speakers so I'd have to move them.. not a big deal just pull wire up in attic and move it over a stud or two.. I really want to get moving on this.. I had no idea it would be this hard!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The main advantage to AT screens is for those individuals that do two displays. You could buy a plasma in a 65" to have to watch the news, then bring down an AT screen leaving the speakers...and everything else, behind the screen.

nick0814

Agent
Real Name
Nick Gootee
gotcha.. really the only reason I'd buy another screen is if I get mine fixed for a reasonable amount of money I might re-locate it somewhere else in the house and use the screen over then put a new screen with new projector.. I just want to replace mine for now. I want something brighter than my optoma and I was happy with everything else so whatever I gain from the old one is really just a bonus!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I recommend 2 projectors for you, both with lens shift. Both are about the same price. Panasonic AR100U - I give this the edge because it's brighter. Will give you 30 foot lamberts with a 84" diagonal screen, 12.5 throw distance. Epson 8350 - Will give you 25 foot lamberts with same screen size and throw.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The main advantage to AT screens is for those individuals that do two displays. You could buy a plasma in a 65" to have to watch the news, then bring down an AT screen leaving the speakers...and everything else, behind the screen.
It is never a good idea to have anything that is reflective (ie a plasma) behind an AT screen. All objects behind a AT screen should be non reflective and flat black.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Gregg Loewen said:
It is never a good idea to have anything that is reflective (ie a plasma) behind an AT screen. All objects behind a AT screen should be non reflective and flat black.
Doesn't matter with CineWeave or ClearPix. Besides...not heard of black backing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks