Replacement universal remote for receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by themow, Feb 15, 2012.

1. themow

themow Auditioning

I have a pioneer VSX26-TX and I need a remote. Pioneer wants tons of money for the remote model #axd7212 and I might as well buy a new receiver considering its age. Im wondering if I can use any type of universal remote that will enable me get through the menus etc of the receiver.

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

John-

While I can't speak for that specific model, I have used universal remotes on LOTS of Pioneer gear (including receivers) in the past without any problems. You will just need to decide if you want a super basic universal remote, or if its time to step up to a Harmony or similar easy to use Universal remote to make it easier to use your entire system. Since you are going to do it, I would do it right. Then again if you don't have HDMI switching and having a universal remote isn't a priority you may want to look at stepping up to a newer receiver.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I have that same receiver (no, I won't sell you the remote) and I doubt you will find a fully functional universal model anywhere short of a Harmony One, but at least you can use that if you upgrade.

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I checked a couple of places last night and they were both $128. For my 23txh I'm using a remote from an old 1014 that I bought on ebay for $28. Good for everday use but it doesn't control everything It's good for power on/off, volume menu/setup and surround modes, among other things. But it doesn't work for the MCACC presets or Audio/Video Parameters. I bet a remote from a slightly newer receiver would control most everything on the vsx-26. Their plentifull on ebay. Just keep looking.

5. themow

themow Auditioning

I programmed my comcast remote to control power and volume and thats all I need. I only use it for stereo anyway. Its now having that famous dsp board issue that many of these units had. I do want a new rec with HDMI switching but Im very used to the sound quality from this unit and I know that a new receiver is going to be pricey if im looking for that type of quality.