What's new

Replacement Bulb for Sony SXRD TV (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have a Sony SXRD rear projection TV, model #KDS-55A2000. I am getting a flashing red light when I turn on my TV. The manual indicates this means the lamp needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a reliable and reasonably priced source for a replacement lamp? A local dealer has quoted a price of $250.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
With the Olympics on TV I chose to purchase a new lamp locally. I hadn't realized how dim the picture was getting until I replaced the lamp. The video is 100% better than it was before. It still sucks that I have to replace the lamp in less than 2 years, though.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, when you need another lamp in a couple of years, I would suggest you buy one from Discount Merchant. They're selling your replacement lamp for $179.99. I bought a replacement for my JVC H-DILA set several months ago at a similar discount, just to make sure I had one on hand when I needed it, and installed it last weekend.

You're right. Because the lamp dims slowly you don't really notice the difference in the picture - until you plug the new lamp in!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

As for the cost...

I bought my TV in mid-December 2005, so the original lamp lasted almost exactly two and three-quarter years. The newer lamps are supposed to last even longer the original. And changing the lamp has basically restored my TV to the condition it was in the day it was delivered. A plasma TV would just continue getting dimmer and dimmer, but get what is practically a new TV after almost 3 years for less than 10% of the purchase price. If I have to spend another $150 or so in 3 or 4 years to extend the set's life even further I'll consider that a bargain.

Regards,

Joe

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the link. This is what I was looking for a couple of days ago. Now that I have an idea of how long my lamp will last I will look into purchasing one about a year and a half from now. I was a bit bummed out that I had to pay $250 for the new lamp but your posting does keep it in perspective.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Todd's link is a good reminder of the value of comparison shopping - and the fact that one size almost never fits all.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
While DLP Lamp Express has a better price for Marty's Sony lamp, they are about $20 higher than Discount Merchant on my JVC bulb.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks