Replacement Bulb for Sony SXRD TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Marty M, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have a Sony SXRD rear projection TV, model #KDS-55A2000. I am getting a flashing red light when I turn on my TV. The manual indicates this means the lamp needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a reliable and reasonably priced source for a replacement lamp? A local dealer has quoted a price of $250.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
  3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

With the Olympics on TV I chose to purchase a new lamp locally. I hadn't realized how dim the picture was getting until I replaced the lamp. The video is 100% better than it was before. It still sucks that I have to replace the lamp in less than 2 years, though.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Well, when you need another lamp in a couple of years, I would suggest you buy one from Discount Merchant. They're selling your replacement lamp for $179.99. I bought a replacement for my JVC H-DILA set several months ago at a similar discount, just to make sure I had one on hand when I needed it, and installed it last weekend.

You're right. Because the lamp dims slowly you don't really notice the difference in the picture - until you plug the new lamp in! [​IMG]

As for the cost...

I bought my TV in mid-December 2005, so the original lamp lasted almost exactly two and three-quarter years. The newer lamps are supposed to last even longer the original. And changing the lamp has basically restored my TV to the condition it was in the day it was delivered. A plasma TV would just continue getting dimmer and dimmer, but get what is practically a new TV after almost 3 years for less than 10% of the purchase price. If I have to spend another $150 or so in 3 or 4 years to extend the set's life even further I'll consider that a bargain.

Regards,

Joe

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Thanks for the link. This is what I was looking for a couple of days ago. Now that I have an idea of how long my lamp will last I will look into purchasing one about a year and a half from now. I was a bit bummed out that I had to pay $250 for the new lamp but your posting does keep it in perspective.

6. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Cinematographer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    DLP Lamp Express also has the same lamp for $139.00, or $159.00 pre-installed in an OEM rebuilt housing, plus free shipping.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Todd's link is a good reminder of the value of comparison shopping - and the fact that one size almost never fits all. [​IMG] While DLP Lamp Express has a better price for Marty's Sony lamp, they are about $20 higher than Discount Merchant on my JVC bulb.

Regards,

Joe