RentmyDVD - Problem Discs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sherry H., Jul 28, 2001.

1. Sherry H.

Sherry H. Extra

I signed up for a monthly rental program at RentmyDVD two months ago. In the last three shipments, there have been problems with one of the discs (I have the 2-disc rental plan so that's 50% of my rentals!). In one case, the last 5-6 chapters wouldn't play. In another shipment, there was a glitch in one of the chapters and part of the chapter wouldn't play. I just finished watching the first movie in my latest shipment and the last two chapters of the movie wouldn't play despite several cleanings!
    I sent an e-mail after the first problem in which at least 5 chapters would not play and I never received any kind of response back from them. I'm waiting until I watch the second disc before e-mailing them about the latest problem. Judging from the look of the second disc, I'm anticipating problems with it also.
    I chose RentmyDVD over Netflix primarily because of the negative comments that Netflix was generating and because they have more choice in their rental plans. I did a search and didn't come up with any complaints regarding bad/damaged discs from RentmyDVD. I'm wondering now if it has just been a bit of bad luck, or if anyone else has had problems with discs from RentmyDVD?
    Sherry

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm in my fifth month with RentMyDVD on the 4-at-a-time program. So far I haven't received a disc that wouldn't play (in whole or in part). Of course, I never had that problem with Netflix either; the problems with Netflix were availability and customer service.
    Have you encountered problems with discs from other sources? Recurrent problems playing discs can sometimes be a sign of a problem with the DVD player (especially with some earlier Panasonic models). Just a thought.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on July 30, 2001 at 07:06 AM]

3. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I've never had a problem with a disc from RentMyDVD.

4. Sherry H.

Sherry H. Extra

Thanks for the feedback. As for recurring problems with discs, I rented from Blockbuster before signing up with RentmyDVD. I'm no fan of Blockbuster, but I only recall one or two discs that had problems. As to the problem being with the DVD player, my Sony player is less than a year old and I haven't had any problems with it before now. Judging from the appearance of the discs I've received (fingerprints, scratches, residue, etc.), I believe that the discs have simply been mishandled. I watched the second disc of my latest shipment last night and, as I suspected, there were problems with it as well -- four different chapters had problems and one of the chapters wouldn't play at all. Maybe it's just been a string of bad luck. I'm going to see what they have to say and give it another month or so. If they can't send me watchable discs, then I'll just cancel my membership. Large selection and short turnover periods don't mean much if you can't enjoy the movies you do receive.
    Sherry