What's new

Renewing my home theatre system (1 Viewer)

Roary

Auditioning
Real Name
Wally Collett
Recently my RCA Home Theater System ceased to function. It had a Center Speaker Model RTD217, Impedance 4, Subwoofer Impedance 3; left and right rear speakers Impedence4; left and right front speakers Impedance 4 and left and right surround speakers with impedance 4.
My question is can I connect those speakers to another appropriate receiver and have my sound system working again?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Most likely, no.

About the only thing you can safely do would be to find an exact replacement.

This is the biggest drawback to the budget all-in-one systems - one component dies, and you're out the whole system. Also, the speakers in such systems are almost always the weak link anyway.

There are some better HTiB systems from Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha that are built around a quality A/V receiver (the speakers are still not that great) but at least these systems provide a means to upgrade components as needed. These cost a bit more, but over the long haul will be the better investment.

If you're in the market for something, tell us your budget and what sources you plan to hook up to it and we can make some recommendations.

Roary

Auditioning
Real Name
Wally Collett
Thank you so much for your information. I was very suspicious that what you told me was the way it was. I guess then the only thing to do with those speakers is to dump them as from what you say they would have no further use for anything. That being the case I will do just that and then look around here locally for a new component system.:(:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The problem with the 3ohm speakers in that system...
They are 3ohm, which limits you to essentially Onkyo and HK. Nothing else, unless you want to spend $800 for an AVR...which I doubt.
They are immensely inefficient. When the day comes to replace a pair of the speakers...the remaining speakers won't keep up.
Their frequency range is dreadful. Again, replace a pair and the rest won't keep up.
The actual power handling ability is not much. I don't care if this is a 500watt or 1000watt PMPO system. Back those speakers up with a real 80wpc...and they'll fry.
You "could" keep the 5 speakers(there is no way to keep the subwoofer) for a short bit...like 6 months, at most.
Basically there is no way to translate PMPO to reality....but...
I've ween the wattage rating on the back of a 1000w PMPO system before and it was 225. Take half that out for the video/BD player, you are left with 112. Divide 112 by 6 and you get less than 20wpc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.