What's new

Remotes for Subwoofers? (1 Viewer)

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
My question; is there a 3rd party Subwoofer Remote Volume control available that has an IR controler?

I have an MK MX350 subwoofer and a Outlaw ICBM. I use the ICBM to manage the base for my SACD player, but I dont have a way to quickly adjust the subwoofer level when I'm watching movies or TV. (I have an integrated receiver so my ICBM sits between the SACD player and the receiver)
The controls are nearly impossible to access on my sub.
MK makes a remote control (knob based)
http://www.mksound.com/rm1.html
but I'd really like one that has IR control.

I know a stereophile doesn't sit and adjust bass levels on the fly, but my wife often wants to sleep while I watch TV or movies and its a huge pain to curb the bass with my current setup. Also I just got voom and it seems some of their movies have a horribly overpowered .1 track.

TIA,
Greg

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Easiest method would be to purchase a AV amp that allowed custom settings per DSP, for example "TV Matrix" with the sub set to -3dB, "Logic 7" with the sub set to +3dB, and also set the DSP of your choice automatically upon that input change- so switch to "TV" input and it defaults to TV Matrix, switch to "DVD" input and it defaults to Logic 7.

My Lexicon offers such customization. I would assume the newer AV amp's allow this too. I never have to mess around with channel adjustment levels once I've gone past calibration + each DSP mode adjustment, or I want a mode with less of a subwoofer effect.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
This wont help you, but the plate amp for my Tempest has an IR remote control for the XO & amp gain....& yes it does come in handy at times.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, this one's been known to do it. :D

When I first got a subwoofer it didn’t take long to figure out I needed a way to remote-control it. Especially with music, where occasionally bass levels change from track to track. The problem was not so much how to do it - all you need is a remote controlled pre-amp in-line between the receiver and sub - but how to do it cheaply. The cheapest remote controlled pre-amp I could find was about $300. Ouch. Pretty pricey convenience.

The solution: A gizmo called the Chase Technologies RLC-1.

Back in the mid-90s this maverick company came out with the RLC-1 (for remote line controller.) It was designed to upgrade an older two-channel receiver for remote control capabilities. It did this by connecting across the tape monitor loop, and then all of your components would plug into the RLC-1. This allowed input selection and basic functions like volume, balance, bass and treble to be remote controlled. The RLC-1 was tested in Stereo Review and got good marks for its excellent specs and sonics.

The RLC-1 appeared to be just the ticket I was looking for. Best of all, the price was right - a mere $150 list. I picked one up at Best Buy for $100 and never looked back.

Chase Technologies is long out of business, but occasionally an RLC-1 will show up on eBay. You’re in luck, Greg – there’s one up right now, dirt cheap. Just enter “chase RLC-1” in the home-page search engine and you’ll find it.

I’d have to say the RLC-1 works very well for this application. The only problem is that the visual reference it uses for volume level changes is rather vague and ambiguous. Once you move it up or down it’s pretty much up to your ears. If you want to then move it back to the point where you started, you can’t do that with any certainty.

However, there is an easy fix: When the RLC-1 looses power, it re-sets itself to default settings. So what I did was set up and calibrate my reference sub level to the default, and plugged the RLC-1 into a switched outlet. This way anytime I change the sub level, it goes back to the default/reference setting the next time I use the system. If you have a remote that runs macros you can simply include the Chase in the turn-on sequence, assuming it can be “taught” commands from other remotes. The default input is “Video,” so that’s the one you would want to use – otherwise you have to change the input every time you turn the system on.

Surprisingly, when I first started on this Forum back in ’99, I mentioned the Chase specifically and remote controlled subs in general a few times and generated near zero interest. Very seldom do you see someone asking about remote controlled subs. I for one think the concept is very cool. I wouldn’t dream of having a system without it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
On the Panny XR50, there is a button on the remote which adjusts the subwoofer trim levels in increments of 5 or 1. Easier than a remote sub!

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
this was one of the main selling features of my velodyne, is that it had a remote control volume, and i could daisy-chain them. its a NICE feature to have.

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne!
That looks like the ticket!
I found a remote line level box from audioplex for $250! and it doesn't even include the remote, they just stole codes from Proscan amps....and you need to wire the remote device to the volume box....what a pain!
I'm bidding on that RCL-1 you mentioned, I'll let you know how it all turns out!
Thanks again,
Greg

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
Velodynes NEW DLS series comes with a remote...
phase, vol level, compression/night mode, and (get this) DSP settings.....
DLS3500R 8 INCH
DLS3750R 10 INCH
DLS4000R 12 INCH
DLS5000R 15 INCH

HAVING ONLY PLAYED WITH THE 3750, I WILL SAY THAT I WAS IMPRESSED.......
NEW COSMETICS ..."URUSHI-LIKE" FRONT BAFFLE
NEW AMPS TOO!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks