What's new

Remote(s) question (1 Viewer)

dan_dj

Auditioning
I have my components in a cabinet with a solid wood door. How can I get my remotes to work without opening the door each time I want to use my HT? I've seen ads for 'remote extenders', but they look they just add distance to the remotes capability?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dan, if your remote works via an infrared sensor, it has to "see" the equipment it is intended to operate. Meaning the door must be opened.

dan_dj

Auditioning
Is there such a thing as a 'add-on' remote eye that I could wire outside the cabinet ( say, near the tv ) that would then transmit the signals to the components? The remote would be then be able to 'see' the external eye.

I don't know if i'm using the right lingo, but I hope you are understanding my question.....

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there are IR repeaters that have an IR receiver, and then an emitter that you wire somewhere else (such as inside the cabinet).

People with closets or racks of equipment that are in another room use these devices. I'm not sure what exactly is available, as I've not used/had a need for such a device, but I do know there is a solution for your problem. How much it costs, though, I have no idea. I don't imagine it'd be too much...

Tim Robbins

Agent
An IR repeater is exactly what you want in this case. It consists of 2 units, each about the size of a small computer speaker. One has a small antenna and a cord with an "eye" on the end. This unit will sit inside your cabinet, and the "eye" will be placed in front of, or close to the a/v components' IR "eye". The second unit sits on top of your cabinet. Just point your remote at the unit on the cabinet, and it sends the commands to the one inside, which inturn, controls your equipment. They are available at most places like radio shack, best buy, etc. As for cost, they are about $80 in Canada, so I'm guessing maybe $50-60 US.

Tim

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
There are basicly two types of IR repeaters. Both have some type of receiver or eye which you place where it can pick up signals from your remote, as mentioned above. it relays the signal to the repeater to control your equipment.

One type of repeater just has one unit which sends out a signal similar to your remote. This unit has to be placed where all your equipment can see it. Most likely this is the type of system you'll find at RadioShack or somewhere like that.

The other type of repeater is known as 'hard-wired'. The signal is sent to the equipment through wires which each terminate in a small ir emitter which you stick over the equipment's receiving eye. Look up Xantech or Speakercraft Smartpath to see what I'm talking about. Depending on how your equipment is placed, you may need this type of system.

Jack

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Try rockler.com
Search for item# 90038
Hidden Link and Micro Link

They transmit all remote control commands behind wooden door to audio/video components.

More details for Hidden Link and Micro Link
Just aim your remote control at the small infrared receiver. The signal is transmitted over a thin wire to the interior of the cabinet, where infrared emitters retransmit remote control commands directly to your equipment. Each system includes an infrared receiver (either Hidden or Micro Link), a power source, a two port connection block and a single emitter-90038 enough for one component. To hook up more components, order single or dual emitters to match you number of components. For 5 to 12 components, a six port connection block is required. A six port connection block supports up to six dual emitters for a total of 12 components

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks