What's new

Remote Potato gives you Media Center on the Go (A Review) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There is no place like Home

One of the things I have always loved about Media Center is that there almost no limits on how much TV you can store, how you store it - and what you do with it. You can pitch it around your house; you can view it from any room in your house. Have an XBOX? You can use it as an extender.

But the next goal for most people has always been placeshifting. Some hardare manufacturers have worked hard to pitch their product - SlingBox and Vulcano as good examples. But outside of high price,they rely on pitching to their web address and retransmitting, or encoding in transit. This makes it a bit trickier to be universal.

So, how do you go to the next level? How can you take your media center and start transmitting it, working with it, from anywhere? Need to schedule recordings, watch pictures, listen to music - or watch TV from your media center.. Remote Potato makes those things possible.

Full Control, from anywhere...

Using Silverlight and other technologies,FatAttitude's Remote Potato converts and streams music to most portable devices.. and provides you an open menu system to access all of the critical functions:

Set up recordings, schedule recordings, view the TV guide.

Select and play them back:

How open of a platform is Remote Potato?

Here's a look at setting up mobile supports:

There is also a fully functional iPod/iPad app for Remote Potato

There are very few things on the market quite like Remote Potato. Full placeshifting with menu management, program management, and source controls.

The only downfall to Remote Potato is that it requires manual changes to be made in your firewall. Not a tricky task for most users, but for some, that challenge can seem daunting.

Once it's accomplished though, it becomes absolutely worth while. The developer asks for a MEAGER $5 his continued work, or as he puts it "one beer or two".

Developer support for Media Center is critical; and a lot of these people deserve as much praise as they get. When you consider that a placeshifter like Slingbox is $150 and the app is more, this thing instantly becomes not just a bargain, but almost highway robbery for what it does.

STRONG RECOMMEND. If you're using media center, this is a $5-$10 expense you should figure into it, right off the bat.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Version 1.0 is out, and it completely changes the way I use my media center - remote access streamed straight to ANY mobile device, it looks good; grab your recorded TV, your videos, your music... it travels straight to you.. Fantastic.

A good demonstration by I assume the company.. but just fantastic. If you're running media center and you have an Ipad/iPhone/Android/WP7/Tablet of any flavor.. this is a MUST.. just incredible.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Works with Windows Phone 7, iPad, iPhone, etc. Stream your content from your media center straight to your WP7.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Adam Gregorich said:
I'm more interested in being able to remote program shows to record in WMC
That's the feature I use most. I find I end up traveling and will forget to schedule something to record.. so if I check TheFutonCritic and see I'm missing something, bang, record. But it's also nice to have it stream to me when it's done.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
So I installed this on my Media Center PC and installed Media Buddy on my Windows Mobile 7 phone and all I can say its its fantastic. For under $10 I have full remote control of programming the DVR and can stream content. Opening the ports on my router was a snap. I highly recommend this to anyone. Thanks again for the review and recommendation Matt!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It is, frankly, one of the coolest toys I've played with. I sat at a Royals game last week.. oh, and here I will admit I am a terrible fan.. so while the Royals were being pummelled and totally out of it, I watched back an episode from my Media Center at my house on my iPad2. :) It's quite effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks