What's new

remote control use through walls (1 Viewer)

MarcCh

Agent
I did not know where to post this message. If not here, please feel free to move. I have just completed my home theater. I have a false wall with access through a door. I was planning on keeping all of my components behind the wall and hanging my plasma television on the wall with a hole through the wall to the back. My concern is how can I access the device using the remote, is it possible? Is there something I need to mount on the wall to receive the remote signals? Any help is appreciated.

Marc

MarcCh

Agent
Is there any way to control multiple sources. Mainly the receiver and satellite receiver?

Marc

MarcCh

Agent
So I essentially need to purchase one for each device I want to control?? That could be 5 or 6.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
All of my components are kept in a closed cabinet and controlled with a Hotlink Pro . It will control up to 8 devices with IR emitters attached directly to each component. The receiver cable is very small. I have mine velcro'd bottom center on the frame of the plasma itself. You have to really be looking to see it. They offer extender cables for the receiver if necessary. There is also a green "talk back" led you can expose to the main room which flashes and verifies that IR codes are being received.

The Terk unit Reginald uses is less expensive and a little easier to set up. With this one, the receiver unit has to be sitting in the room somewhere and both it and the transmitter need access to A/C power. The only thing you need to be aware of with that one is that you have to be able to place it in proximity to the components so it has line of sight to the IR receiver on all components. The emitters for the Hotlink Pro, as I said, adhere directly to the IR receiver on each component so line of sight isn't a concern.

No...the remote unit "blasts" out everything it receives to anything in proximity.

Hope this helps.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
MarcCH,

One unit controls all of your components or I should say any component that is controlled by IR. An IR cable/emitter also comes with the unit, it plugs into the TERK and attachs to the front of any unit that the IR eye on the TERK cannot hit.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Any IR signal that gets sent to the receiving device will get passed to the sending device. All it is is a repeater/extender for IR signals. It is not device or remote specific.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Joe is correct, it makes no difference which remote sends the signal to the extender/emitter, all it does is relay the signal to the component.

joseph westcott

Second Unit
There are several devices on the market that can convert your IR signals to RF and back again.

I use the Next Generation RF system in combination with the Logitech Harmony 688.

My AV credenza is behind the couch. I needed a non line of sight solution with activity programming.

Happy Holidays!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks