What's new

Remote access (1 Viewer)

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all got a little problem.

In addition to my desktop I'm running a server on my little network. I have it tucked away in a closet and I don't have an extra monitor to use when I need to do updates and maintenance. I've tried to use the Remote Access through XP but it requires initialization by both PCs which defeats the purpose for my situation. Are there programs that allow you to access and manipulate PCs on the same network at will? Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Once you setup remote desktop to work, you don't have to have physical access to the terminal you are accessing over the network.

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm...well, I thought of doing that, but it was restricting me to 30 day access, and I was worried if I rebooted and had to restart the session that I would have to physically grant control (not access) to the desktop pc from my server. Am I missing something? Thanks

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
Try VNC. It allows you to access a remote desktop from anywhere on the internet. They have clients for just about every operating system. It is free and pretty easy to set up.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
No, you don't have to physically grant control. I personally use it instead of vnc for windows xp -> windows xp remote sessions because I'm lazy, and it's already there.

The only time it doesn't work is if there is someone physically sitting at the computer, it brings up a message if you want to let so and so logon, and they can stop you. But if there's no one there, it just goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks