What's new

Reminder: Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars & Starburst Vol 2 release on Tuesday 1/18/05 (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I always thought of it has his coping mechanism. It is how he deals with the strangeness around him. He doesn't do the references for the people around him, who wouldn't get it, but for himself.

Jason

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Just got back from WM where they were putting out both PKW & Vol. 2 of the Starburst editions. Both pricechecked at $19.96.

Cheaper from DDD and BB.

Just an FYI for those interested. As usual YMMV with Wal-Mart pricing.

Greg

Greg S

Supporting Actor
PKW - $14.99
Starburst Volume 2 - $15.99
Starburst Volume 1 - $15.99 (this BBs regular everyday price on this item btw)

Circuit City pricing was $17.99 for each one.

Greg

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Thanks Greg. I'm going probably tonight to get them. I've actually seen Starburst v1 marked at 12.99 at my local BB, but I got it off the website for $15.99 :frowning:

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Yup 2 disc set (kind of waste since the extras on the Region 1 set are lame compared to the Region 2).

1 disc for the Movie
1 disc for the Special Features.

The 28 minute behind the scenes documentary is well done but too short.

Greg

Joshua_W

Second Unit

Best Buy had this priced at $12.99 during its first week of release, and then re-stickered it to $15.99. I've still seen a couple on the shelves with the original $12.99 sticker.

Too bad volume 2 wasn't on sale for $12.99 as well.

Roger_R

Second Unit
I wonder if any of the future Starburst editions will have the original season 2 opener which they later made into 2x08 Dream a Little Dream. Would have made a great extra.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Picked up both today. :)

I just popped in PKW. I would have thought since it was filmed so recently that the video quality would have been better. The sound is nice and my LFE is active, but the video quality is average.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Okay Guys and Gals...need a little help here.

I held off watching PKW when it first aired in anticipation of watching it on DVD. That being said, my understanding is that the DVD release incorporates Parts I and II edited down into a single movie.

I haven't watched this yet, but could someone please confirm if the content is the same as the originally aired version? i.e...no scenes missing! :frowning:

I did take a quick peak at the first 10 minutes or so and have to agree that I was surprised about the video quality...definitely lacking in comparison to the ADV releases. I have a hard time believing that the source material would be drastically different from the previous season episodes.

Howie

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Can't help you with this since the only thing I have watched so far has been the extras on disc 2 and everything seemed fine there.

Hopefully I will be able to look it over this w/e.

Greg

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone else's Starburst Edition vol. 2 freeze up on the second episode of disc 1 side 1, (the second episode "DNA Mad Scientist")?

Mine stutters and freezes at the second chapter in (just after the opening credits) as well as later in the episode when the blue lady and the luxan are in Rigel's cabin, and at a few other places. One player couldn't get through it at all, another one managed to skip past the broken parts well enough for me to see most of the episode.

I'm planning on returning the disc to Best Buy for an exchange, but I wonder if all batches are bad or if this is just bum luck.

The disc has no visual signs of damage. Thanks.

Duane R

Second Unit
One complaint I have about the PK Wars Set is that there's no insert. A minor annoyance, but an annoyance at any rate.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Greg, I just asked you in that "other thread" and didn't realize you've moved the converstion in here... I take it you somehow saw TPW before the DVD even came out? So what did you think?

Ric

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Ric,

Funny you should ask as I have something I typed up but forgot to post it.

Ok folks I finally got to see PKW for the first time thanks to a helpful forum member who sent me the tape -- THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Let me first say that I am SO GLAD I got to see this now as it was getting REALLY hard to wait until the DVD is released next week – SO THANK YOU!!!

**BE AWARE THERE ARE SPOILERS BELOW AND IT WAS TOO HARD TO SPOILER TAG THEM -- SORRY!!**

I will start with the negatives first:

NEGATIVES:

TOO SHORT!! I could truly tell this wanted desperately to be longer. You could easily see that there was other stuff to show but not enough time. I would imagine that just 1 more hour of “show time” (i.e. no commercials) probably would have done it & perhaps have satisfied many of us.

Chiana & Pilot voices – man these bugged me at first. I finally got used to them towards the end but it was not what I am used to hearing. Even Chi’s body language and movements weren’t the same. She got better in some spots but she seemed the most off compared to other characters.

Noranti – boy this one was annoying but I got over it quick since she was used sparingly. Of course I have now read on the forum what the issue was with her so it’s all understood now.

No Jack (Crichton's Dad) -- Not that I expected him in this in any way but I enjoyed his performances with JC -- particularly in Bad Timing (Season 4). No need for him here but the interaction between Kent McCord and Ben Browder was always great.

Grunschlick -- could have done w/o him but oh well.

**There were some other “minor” complaints but to be honest with you they are really tied to the main one listed above -- TOO SHORT!!

POSITIVES:

CAN YOU SAY LUXAN WARRIORS!!! – Dam these guys were awesome!! From the moment they showed up for the Jail break to the end I loved every moment with them!! I would LOVE to see a Mini just involving them. Perhaps something pertaining to the past with D’Argo (remember he stated in the Premiere that he had been in 2 battle campaigns already).

Claudia Black looked GORGEOUS in this. She said in an interview on one of the Season sets that to us Americans it was always about the hair and that was why it changed constantly for each season depending on the tone of the ep. I gotta agree with here because I thought she never looked better than in PKW and it was the change in the hair. She just looked awesome in that black leather!!

SFX – Incredible. Star Wars and other Sci-Fi EAT YOUR FRELLING HEARTS OUT! Hard to believe this is a TV show.

Story – I thought the story was very good. Yes there were more (and larger) holes in the story line than in the whole series but to be honest I have no idea how they managed to get in all the stuff that they did and keep it even remotely coherent. Again complaints pertaining to the story line are directly related to complaint #1 – not long enough.

Performances – these we great. Everyone did well. The D’Argo scene LITERALLY killed me. I knew it was coming and I completely died when it happened. WHO’S YOUR DADDY!!!!

Music – Can you say Guy Gross is is great or what – where are his awards?!?! He sure does deserve them!! The music for PKW was perfect in my estimation. It helped emphasize the emotions on the screen and blended perfectly w/o being slapped in the face with it!

Action – Can you say kick a$$ action!! Fight scenes and battle scenes were tremendous. Again I say – this is a TV show?!?!?!?!?

**There are more but again it would take forever to list I prefer to add more “discussion wise” than in a list.

Overall this mini completely bowled me over. The scope of this was HUGE and had a TON of ground to cover and under the circumstances I think they did an amazing job getting in as much as they could. That being said I would have preferred them to have slowed the pace just a tad. It made for an AMAZING rush of adrenaline – particularly for Part 2. Part 1 was good but choppy as I felt they had to breeze over SO much to get it all in that the attention to detail I had become accustomed to just wasn’t there. I get the inclination that the details certainly were in the script at one time but due to time constraints had to be cut – bummer but understandable. This screams for a DVD Extended Director's Cut -- I bet it would REALLY be great but alas I understand Brian Henson has said no way as what was on screen was what he had envisioned.

I will also add that I am probably the only one here who was DEFINITELY not bothered by the lack of Chiana or Rygel story or even more expansion/explanation on the Shikozu issues. I was so caught up in everything that it just would have clouded up things completely IMHO – after all we ALL can’t get everything we want (not enough time – see a pattern here, LOL!). It also provides excellent lead ins for other minis

The moments that will stick with me for a long time are the ones of great emotion –

D’Argo’s death of course. He went out in a blaze of glory like he should (or possibly not – who knows). For now I assume he went out in a hero’s death and that’s the way it should be.

Birth/Marriage scene – loved that after the child was born and they kiss & embrace that Aeryn asked John for one more thing “Get us out of Here” and he says “Done” – next scene is are man leading the way with both pulse pistols blazing and whoopin’ some a$$. It was so well done and seemed so appropriate that it was very touching (even if you have to suspend disbelief that Aeryn just gave birth and she is out there carrying their child and blowing away bad guys, LOL!).

JC’s entire speech/actions at the end (I understand that it was 10mins all in one shot no cuts) – BBs performance as well as the other actors was superb here and CBs reaction when he collapsed into Coma brought back memories of D’Argo’s scream in Bad Timing. Very impressive stuff.

The Death of Harvey – loved the 2001 homage and seeing him go was actually very sad. Great character interaction with him and JC throughout the series and mini -- loved every little skit! (Pulp fiction, The Usual Suspectsm and Crash Test Dummies are my favs!!)

The final scene where they name Little D. Man this was hard to watch as it just brought back memories of how much I dig the D’Argo character. While it felt really over the top (think Lion King anyone??) it was still emotional and with the closing music was spot on.

Comedy scenes that will stick with me as well:

When J&A and were recrystalized – the whole bit when

JC: You said yes!
Aeryn: I did??
JC: Yep, been 60 days any regrets??
Aeryn: Nope it’s going really well!
JC: Hey guys were getting married!
D’Argo & Chiana: Congratulations!

The shotgun wedding: Stark keeps messing up and Aeryn slugs him 2X. Had me rolling all while I was caught up in the emotional throng of the birth. Great job everyone!

D is dying and he is still making jokes to JC.

The whole bit of Rygel being pregnant -- only Farscape would do this.

The crash test dummies skit -- hilarious!!

(not a funny moment but yeah hot dam moment for me) -- In the intense action after Jothie's shipped cleared a path for them it has come down to hand to hand combat and then John while covering Chi beating the hell out of a Scarran with a rock(loved how intense and real this felt and the expression on JCs face as it was happening) is now at gun point and possibly about to buy it. Who is there Aeryn POW!! "Its a boy I thought you'd like to know" -- totally predictable but loved it.

Man there is so much that was good with this mini. It saddens me to no end that this Farscape is all over. I am pretty confident that there will be more Farscape of some sort but it won’t be the same – It won’t be the crew as we have come to know & love them and won’t be the J&A push/pull of their relationship being an underlying story line throughout (all though it was a major plot point for S4). I look forward to the next incarnation of FS but that magic feeling brought by this group (both cast & crew) may not be reached again. I hope that it does!

This leads to me final thoughts – everything I speak of next is strictly my opinion and PURE CONJECTURE with it so please bear with me but I would like to hear your input.

Ok here goes ….. One of the series' MAJOR pluses to this series was that this group had a special chemistry with one another that brought a magic quality to the show. This magic made it and everything on the screen special unlike any other show I have experienced. Sadly I felt that in PKW some of the magic quality was missing – not completely but a small part wasn’t there. I equate this to 2 things:

Time constraints. Already mentioned this before but one thing about the series was that they were always able to do proper character interaction throughout each episode which easily brought that magic quotient to the forefront in each episode. W/O proper time to do this (particularly in part 1) it took away from that experience. It didn’t ruin the moments but it did lessen their impact.

Now to the conjecture part (I almost hate to bring this up but here goes) – a major chunk of this chemistry/magic on screen was brought by BB & CB. If you go back and watch the first 4 seasons and watch their interactions with each other there was always expressions in their eyes, smiles, looks, speech, movements etc that they just clicked. It just didn't seem to be the same, not missing but just different and not quite what I had been used (**PLEASE BEAR IN MIND I WATCHED ALL 4 SEASONS AND PKW OVER THE COURSE OF MAYBE 6 WEEKS NOT 4-6 YEARS AS THE REST OF YOU**)

In the seasons this was so out in the forefront even when they were at odds or tearing each other apart emotionally (Dog with Two Bones). This suddenly seemed to be missing in PKW. Don’t get me wrong their chemistry was still GREAT and performances were amazing but that little extra just wasn’t there for me. Maybe I am crazy but its something I noticed.

Some other factors why this “magic” was lessened could also be the 2 years apart from one another – after all you work so closely with a group for 4 years its easy to develop this magic and then don’t for 2 years; its kind of difficult just to jump back on the bandwagon. I also believe that perhaps there were really no “stolen moment” times in PKW like we would see in the series (i.e. end of Twice Shy, Elevator scene in BT etc.).

Ahh who knows. I am probably making a fuss over nothing. I loved the whole series and PKW. I will thoroughly enjoy viewing this show over and over again and can only pray that this will move on to more Farscape in future.

My humble thanks to the cast, crew, creators, writers, and finance companies that brought this tremendous show into our homes. There will truly never be another series like this and I honestly don’t know if it can ever be topped. So thank you!!

Greg

P.S. -- I should also mention that I rcvd the tape early yesterday and have already watched PKW 2X. I will most likely watch it again late tonight as well because each time I do it sinks in even more and I enjoy more each time!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the big post, Greg! I guess I missed the issue with Chiana and Pilot's voices. Was Pilot different? Gigi still played Chiana, right? After so long a break between the series and the mini, I didn't really notice any "issues"

Talking about time constraints, it sure makes you wonder what a whole 5th season would have been like, doesn't it? Although this was a great way to go out. And a 5th season may not have seemed as epic.

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks