What's new

Remastered Space: 1999 S1 (1 Viewer)

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
Bummer about the re-release, but on the bright side my Space: 1999 set can see another year or so of use.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I bought the newly released Megaset and have watched disc 1 so far. The picture quality is better than expected, I enjoyed the first 3 episodes and I'm glad I bought the set. A&E used the same artwork that is on the front of the box for each slimcase, I was thinking the artwork would be different for each case but no biggie. I'm just glad I can watch the series again and I'm happy with the set so far.

fishiam33

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I myself have not yet purchased any of the sets available out there, but would definately be willing to wait for a HD DVD version. Some prefer a 4:3 ratio but I would prefer a 16:9 ratio. However, I can't help but feel that there is a simple fix for this and that wouls be a 16:9 transfer with a special feature option to pare this down to 4:3 ratio. I think this should be fairly simple to accomplish and give all viewers the option they would like (just imagine changing your mind one day! Then what??!!!) My biggest questions are;
1- When does A&E's option expire?
2- Has anyone done a TRUE hd transfer of Space 1999?
3- Who owns the rights to the extras on the A&E disks (interviews etc...)
4- I would love to see this as a combo disk (HD DVD on one side regular DVD on the other) does anone disagree? For what reason?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
To create a 16:9 transfer would require cropping the image. No thanks.

I'm not sold on combo discs, they have not been around long enough to judge how quickly they will fail, and to include 2 versions means the sets will cost more. Again, no thanks.

retroman

Auditioning
Real Name
David

I would have thought this question would have already been answered many times over in this thread alone? Yes is the answer. The region 2 DVDS were derived from new HD masters (of year one) converted to standard definition.

The BBC did them.

bbcresources.com/postproduction/london/space1999.html

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

As someone else already said, BBC Resources did the transfer that is being used on the R2 Network DVDs. They remastered the show both ways: as 4:3 (actually, widescreen "pillarboxed", with bars on both sides), and as 16:9 anamorphic for HD television broadcasts, so there's already a 16:9 version "in the can" in case any future releasing company plans to use it.

I just hope they don't use one instead of the 4:3. Include the 16:9 if you must, but no 4:3, no sale in my book (I'd just break down and buy the R2s in that case).

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I'm on disc 5 now and I noticed that the on screen menus have a different pic of Landau and Bain and a different coloured border for every two discs, that match the individual releases on Amazon. I'm enjoying the episodes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks