What's new

Remastered "Smokey and the Bandit" - any chance for an SE? (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Heres some news

All 3 movies will be on ONE DISC

from the Universal site it says that Smokey 1 and 3 will be anamorphic, but could be a typo re: 2

the original title of 3 was "Smokey IS the Bandit"

but cramming all three on one disc well, im sure they wont have any of the outtake footage og Gleason as the bandit, which, confusing or not, was one hell of an interesting idea

almost as good as "Jaws 3 People 0" (which they could still make ... Jaws 5 People 0...)

greg_t

Screenwriter
I believe the above is correct, that it will pack all three movies on one dvd. DVDPlanet is selling the pursuit pack for $13.99, that tells me that it isn't going to be a three dvd pack for that price. Still, I'll probably pick it up just for the heck of it. I'd be interested to see how good the "remasters" are.

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Oh man. Three movies on one disc?!
:frowning:

I´m gonna have to wait for a review. Or two.

Hopefully Universal will fix this and give atleast the first one the edition it deserves. Commentary, Remastered sound and new anamorfic transfer. And a documentary with interviews would be nice too.

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Nope, it's a 3 disc set. I'm gonna order it anyway, since I liked these silly movies. Although the 3rd one is horrible.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

greg_t

Screenwriter
Picked this up this evening, and it is all three movies on one dvd. Parts I and II on side A, and part III on side B. The box lists I and II as being 1.85 anamaphoric, and III being 2.35 non-anamaphoric. None are in 5.1, they are all three dolby 2.0. I haven't had the chance to watch them on my widescreen set yet, so I can't comment on the video quality.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The previous Smokey I was non-anamaphoric, and the new release is now anamaphoric. I played both the old version, using the scaling feature of my RP91, and then the new version also on the 91. The new version is improved, but it isn't a night and day difference. Color seems improved, slightly more detail, and there were a couple of spots on the original where some shimmering occured, and that is now gone.

I thought part II looked pretty darn good, and easily better than part I. Part III is non-anamaphoric and is not that bad using the 91's scaling. Odd that they didn't anamaphorically enchance Part III. Possibly an existing LD transfer?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
blockbuster has this for 12.99.
forget that, the price was changed to 24.99 today.

i might pick one up just to replasce my old one and for the bad movie of the 3rd one.
i've never seen it.

John KB

Second Unit
Argh! I wish I would have read this post more carefully.
I was excited to have all three in a set, so I raced out to buy it. I already have one and two, but as bad as it is, I still wanted three to complete the set. Plus the anamorphic enhancement & the price.
I like the packaging, but I misread and thought that part 3 was also anamorphic! That totally sucks! Why go throught the trouble of re-releasing it with 2 of the 3 anamorphic, and nice packaging, but no 16:9 for the final chapter.
I'm still glad to have it, it's just so annoying!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
well, gee-UNIVERSAL-I really do like SATB, *BUT*

if you have the resources to remaster and anamophize (is that a word?)2 out of 3 SMOKEY films, hows about remastering and 16x9-ing standalone/existing classic editions for TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, THE THING, DUNE, and BRAZIL etc.? ( I can see it now -a UNIVERSAL "DYSTOPIAN PACK" including BRAZIL-):)

(and this brings into question the response of many studios that remastering existing flat titles to 16x9 is "too expensive"-if UNI can do it and throw all 3 movies onto a disc for under $20, then it cannot be THAT expensive. In fact catalog remastering into 16x9 is done all the time in Asian territories-often at a new lower price-they simply dont make THAT big a deal out of doing it. The simply just DO IT!)

We dont always need to wait for a Grand, end-of-the-world , be-all-end-all SE of something in order to get a decent new transfer, do we?

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I need some clarification on this. Can someone let me know
if I can buy just the first SATB in an anamorphic dvd version?

Thanks
Troy

greg_t

Screenwriter
Not that I've seen. But the "Pursuit" pack has I and II in anamaphoric and III non-anamaphoric. It has all three movies on one disc for about $15. For what it's worth, I didn't think the anamaphoric I was much better than the non-anamaphoric version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks