What's new

Remastered "Smokey and the Bandit" - any chance for an SE? (1 Viewer)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Well, I've read the announcement that Universal is releasing a remastered, 16:9 set of the Smokey and the Bandit movies as a pack. Any chance of this becoming a real live, honest-to-god Special Edition later, or should I hold my nose and add two of the worst movies ever made to my collection just to get the one I want? :)

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not convinced that this reissue of the first movie is going to be 16x9. I think it's gonna be the same barebones non-16x9 disc that's already out. I already have the 1st two movies (I don't mind Smokey 2 so much, though it's hardly a "good" movie), but there's no way I want Smokey 3, one of the worst major-studio films ever made. Looks like it will be 16x9, 2:35:1, though, for those who want to see the knee-slapping "milk-squirting phone" scene in its pristine glory. :)

Universal has no qualms about releasing 6000 versions of the American Pie films but I guess they can't be bothered to give us a decent SE of Smokey and the Bandit. Hal Needham I'm sure would be up for doing a commentary. Getting Burt and Jerry Reed would be great too. But c'mon, this IS Universal we're talking about, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

John Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Why was the "Montague County Sheriff" sign on Buford's car door censored in Smokey 1?

If thats not censored in the "remastered" version,im going to be buying it again :frowning:,it always annoys me.

The only reason i can think of for the sign blurrage,is that there is a real town called Montague,and they dont like being associated with the film?

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I just hope they include the edited-for-television version. It's almost funnier with the TERRIBLE dubs. "Listen here...SCUM BUM!" I think I read somewhere that no one had ever used that phrase before that. Heheheh!

Jodee

Screenwriter
Yeah, the TV version is hilarious. It always makes me laugh that they edit out when the Sheriff tells his son: "I can't believe you came from my loins". I think they say "genes" instead.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Thge first two discs are the same as the ones currently available. The box set adds the third film, which has a 16x9 transfer.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Darn! i was planning to finally buy smokey thinking it would be anamorphic but i will pass again. :frowning:

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
The current Smokey, while not reference quality, is still quite good in my opinion. It can be had for $10 or under at many discounters. I picked it up at the Walmart bargain bin for $5.88 so I don't care if it's not anamorphic. It's a fun film to watch and the DVD serves it well.

I am one of the minority that actually likes Smokey 2. In some respects, I enjoy it more than Smokey 1. However, I have to agree that Smokey 3 is one of the worst films a major studio ever made. I'm glad Gleason was able to complete "Nothing In Common" before his death so that his last film would be something memorable.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
maybe i will pick it up then. i was checking prices and smokey 1 is $9.35 shipped and the 3-pack coming out is $13 change shipped. so perhaps i will just get the 3-pack even though it includes part 3.

To Universal: you need to get a special edition out there of the first movie with a burt/sally commentary. Because What we have here is a total lack of respect for the law!

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
I know I'm in the very, very small minority, (what can I say, I enjoy a good bad movie) and I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I'm kind of pissed off I have to buy this new box set to get the third Smokey and the Bandit movie. Although, I can't complain about the price.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping like crazy that there would be an SE of the first film when they announced this box set. I would gladly pay for the second and third films if it meant getting a full blown SE of the first one. Unfortunately, that has not yet come to pass. When I get home, the first thing I'm gonna do is punch Universal in the mouth*. :D

But seriously, an SE is badly needed and wanted. Get Hal Needham, Burt, Jerry Reed, and Sally Field together and record a commentary, and possibly a retrospective documentary on the making of the film, and (most importantly) give us a 16:9 transfer and you'd have a sure-fire seller.

*just wanted to clarify for those that haven't seen the first film, this is a joke and not a threat against Universal, who I'm sure are all nice ladies. :)

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I REFUSE to buy any set that has STB 3 in it!

In fact, I want a refund (adjusted for inflation, of course) for the money me and my buddy paid when we went to go see that sad, sad excuse for a movie when it originally hit the theaters.

I have to tell you folks, I am dead excited about "Smokey 3" being released in 2.35:1! I'm not usually one for post-modern kitsch values, but "Smokey 3" is the most enjoyable bad movie I've ever seen. It was so obviously thrown together at the last minute with so little care... It truly is crafted with an Ed Wood level of competence, but only because the entire original concept (Jackie Gleason playing both Smokey AND The Bandit) was ditched after it was deemed "too confusing"... So they go out and get Jerry Reed to play the Bandit, even though his sex appeal level is about 1/10th that of Burt Reynolds. I'm telling you people - this is the kind of big-studio bad movie you would NEVER see today. I actually watched the film three times in one day long ago, and that's a record for me for any film. It is truly that jaw-droppingly, staggeringly, unapologetically half-assed... If there's such a thing as the opposite of a miracle, "Smokey 3" is it. It is, therefore, a true miracle that Universal is bestowing upon us a widescreen version (now if I pray REALLY hard, maybe Uni will show us some of those deleted scenes from the origianl version. Gleason wasn't called 'The Great One' for nothing, and I'll be his take on Bandit smarm was priceless)

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Smokey 3 DID have some funny moments, such as:

Junior:"Daddy, my face is all white!"

Buford:"Well, put on a little lipstick and I'll drop ya off at the gay bar!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Shawn C

Screenwriter
From what I have read, they really didn't have much of a script for the 1st movie either.

"Daddy, my hat flew off!"

"I hope your goddamn head was in it!"

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
I actually consider smokey 1 one of my favorite movie's. But they need a special edition out or at the least 16x9 anamorphic before i get it. Come on guy's do it right.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The first movie, even though non-anamaphoric, is pretty good. I've seen much worse. I guess it depends on how good your playback equipment is.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
According to dvdfile:

and all are being reissued here in anamorphic widescreen transfers: the thrillers Trepass and Judgment Night, the remake of the classic Flipper starring Elijah Wood, a Smokey and the Bandit Pursuit Pack featuring all three films (each remastered)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
You know, this forum is actually a very evil influence. 10 minutes ago, I never would of thought back on how great it would be to have Smokey & the Bandit on DVD, and now I'm considering buying the 3 pack, mainly because I remember loving these as a kid (they were some of the first VHS tapes we ever brought home.)

HTF is incredibly hard on the wallet!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks