What's new

Remakes or adaptations with little or no credit (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am with Seth on 7S and ABL, definitely a remake, with even some elements of the other remake (Mag 7) thrown in: The open vistas sweeping music is decidedly Western material, the bad guys come from a place looking very much like the Mexican desert (is their HQ not a Sombrero?), stuf flike that.

--
H

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Does Airplane! give on-screen credit to the fact that it is a remake of a film called Zero Hour!, just with jokes added to the exact same plot plot? I know it is officially a remake - they bought the rights to remake the film before making Airplane! - but I can't remember if they give any on-screen acknowledgement to it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what do you mean by on screen?
i think the movie itself being parody is acknowledgement.
especially if they really did buy zero hour.
plus it has been awhile but they may talk about it in the commentary

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I meant, did they say on screen during the credits "Based on the movie Zero Hour!", or something like that.

To be honest, I never realised it was a remake until I read an article that referred to it. I just assumed they came up with a generic disaster movie plot, not actually remade an existing film.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Not as far as I know. I first heard that when I was watching the commentary.

Jason

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Seth Paxton wrote (post #1):

About the rehashes or about the non-crediting of the rehashes?

Hollywood is "rehash-city". So, what else is new? So many of today's mainstream movies are so "generically" designed after their predecessors that, if they were required to credit all their sources ("inspirations"), the list for each might go on for some time and end up incurring multiple lawsuits.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Disturbia basically sounds like a re-make of Rear Window. Does Disturbia credit Rear Window as the inspiration for the updated version?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The Condemned struck me as a wussy direct copy of Battle Royale.

Wussy in that they're killing murderers and inmates instead of innocent Japanese 14-year-olds. Oh and the explody things are on their ankles instead of their necks. :)

Battle Royale is also getting a direct remake by the dude behind The Ring, IIRC.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The Dan Ackroyd / Kim Basinger comedy My Stepmother Is An Alien (1988) is based on a serious novel called To Walk the Night (published 1937) with no acknowledgment. Maybe Ackroyd thought that by turning the story into a comedy nobody would recognize it, but the film is still very close, if not identical to the novel, a creepy classic by William Sloane (who also wrote The Edge of Running Water which became, sort of, The Devil Commands with Karloff).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
STAR WARS

Lucas was a Kurosawa buff, and basically just lifted the basic plot of Hidden Fortress, and adapted it to outer space, and then made it into a sh*tty movie, and then another movie, and then more and more adnauseum.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
There are enough difference between the two movies to make this statement gross exaggeration (to be kind). But then again, you knew that.

--
H

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

the original star wars was far from shtty, but i guess someone always has to come into every topic and say it anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks