What's new

Remake of The Wicker Man in the works (BEWARE SERIOUS SPOILER IN LINK!) (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
the idea of a grown-up virgin was just too farfetched.
Course, we did have a movie called "The 40 year old virgin", so maybe not as far fetched as it might seem... ;)
I agree that if you weaken the religious content, there is no point in remaking it. For goodness sakes, it is the center of the film.
Jason

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Justin_S wrote (post #37):
Not "farfetched", "uncool" to the young audiences they no doubt hope to lure into the theaters to see it.
"A male 'virgin'?!? In a drama?!? What are you, outta your mind? What kinda geek must he be??? Pass!"

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Haha, it's a strange world we live in. I generally like LaBute, but I'll pass on this one.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
What strikes me as bizarre is that there is a whole religious abstinence movement in this country, which would play so well into situating a remake in the US. It seems one of the more obvious ways of bringing this piece into the present, and it's abandoned completely.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Posts 37& 38 really made me laugh:)
Unless Leelee does the Brit thing, Im passing and will catch in on cable.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The idea of a grown-up virgin was just too farfetched....yeah I can see that, I mean if they went with an outlandish concept like that then where would they stop with unbelievable plot points............I mean they might suggest something truly insane like the main character has a son that he named "Kal-El" or something equally ridiculous. Yeah Right! :rolleyes

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Justin_S said:
I've read that the butcher behind this remake, Neil LaBute,
For Christ's sake, it's not like he's Uwe Boll or something. When has Neil LaBute made even a halfway commercial film? Why do you guys seem to think that he suddenly decided to sell out?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A lot of critics are calling this movie hilarious. For those who appreciate the original and have seen this remake, are they just laughing at the concept or is the remake laughable independent of the concept (which I could see the cynical-chic critics ready to pounce on anyway)?

RyanAn

Screenwriter
This movie is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I have not seen the original, but I can only assume it's better.

I was really let down with this one. I mean, I can expect "Material Girls" or "Bloodrayne" - but "Wicker Man?"

ry

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Mark Turetsky said:
What strikes me as bizarre is that there is a whole religious abstinence movement in this country, which would play so well into situating a remake in the US. It seems one of the more obvious ways of bringing this piece into the present, and it's abandoned completely.
Bingo. Instead LaBute seems to have mixed in equal parts misogyny (which he's always been accused of) and certain aspects of his mormon upbringing.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
A lot of critics are calling this movie hilarious. For those who appreciate the original and have seen this remake, are they just laughing at the concept or is the remake laughable independent of the concept (which I could see the cynical-chic critics ready to pounce on anyway)?
From the comments I've read on various other message boards, alot of people are laughing at unintentionally humorous parts of the remake, not the concept. Just reading some of these posts has been enough to crack me up. I would expect it to be the same with the critics.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Robert Anthony said:
Instead LaBute seems to have mixed in equal parts misogyny (which he's always been accused of) and certain aspects of his mormon upbringing.
I've never understood the misogynist accusations. If you look at LaBute's work as a whole, including his prolific output as a playwright, it's almost always the men who are portrayed in the worse light.
M.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
OH MY GOD! Haven't seen the movie yet, but judging by these clips it must be the most brilliant movie ever made...
I think Nic Cage knocks out three women!!!!

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Just watched this at fellow HTF'er Nick Graham's house over Christmas break. It is as unintentionally funny as has been said earlier. The alternate ending might help a bit, but not enough.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Robert Anthony said:
Bingo. Instead LaBute seems to have mixed in equal parts misogyny (which he's always been accused of) and certain aspects of his mormon upbringing.
For the record, LaBute was not raised a Mormon, but rather converted while in college at BYU. He has since left the church.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks