What's new

Releasing the Last Season First (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Season 5 of Walker, Texas Ranger is slated to be released this summer. In a rather unusual move CBS actually released the FINAL season first, then released the other seasons! (IMO This may have been a Marketing Strategy, the final season of a show usually occurs after that show has "Jumped the Shark" and if someone wanted to see how well that series would sell, by releasing the Final Season, then seeing how well it sold, (As well as probably getting some flack from that show's fans :laugh: ) would then lead to a decision to release the earlier shows.)

Anyways has this "Last Season First" Strategy been used for any other TV Series? Or is "Walker" the lone exception? :confused:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I bought Walker: The Final Season when it first came out. I then bought seasons 1-4. For me it would not have mattered which seasons were released first, as I would have purchased whatever was available from this series. I don't know of any other shows that were released in this fashion.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
could it have been a case that the final season was already mastered in HD and was therefore the easiest once to release on DVD?

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how common it is - Corey3rd's reason actually makes sense - but I know that Earth: Final Conflict had season 3 through 5 released back in 2003 while we are still waiting for Season 1 and 2. TVShowsonDVD.com has a news story that Universal (owners of S1 and S2) planning on releasing them started in July.
I had seen only the last episode of Season 1 since they re-aired it before the first episode of Season 2 so this will be the chance of seeing all the episodes that were referred to and never seen by me. Unfortunately, a friend didn't recommend it early enough for me to start any earlier. *grin*

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
1-800 Missing or Missing released season 2 and not released season 1 or 3, which I would love to own

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks