What's new

Relative volume level of DTS-CD? (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I've got a regular CD player with an optical digital out and a DTS/DD receiver, so I am going to pick up Sheryl Crow's DTS-CD of The Globe Sessions as an experiment to see if it plays.

But assuming it will play, I am wondering, since my discs are on a carousel (it's a 100-CD carousel) and therefore shuffle randomly often, if the volume level on a DTS-CD is about the same as a regular CD? Or, is the volume much lower like on a DVD?

Anyone out there using Pioneer equipment is particularly welcome to tell me if it was able to play DTS-CDs. Thanks!

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, I have a Pioneer DV-515 DVD-player connected via coax to my Sony receiver, and it played my one and only dts music disc (Titanic soundtrack) with no problems, just as I expected. The volume level seemed about the same as regular CDs, but as I only have one disc, I can't say for sure..

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I've found that DTS tracks are generally mixed (is that the right term) louder. This seems to be true for audio CDs and DVDs.

I'd say to set the volume based on your DTS material and you should be fine.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks all. This format may be as obscure as quadrophonic records, but I am looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks