What's new

Reinforcing plastic for cold? (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
So we bought a new fridge about a year ago. The freezer has two drawers and recently, within weeks of each other, this little tab broke off on each - exactly the same place - that holds the front face and handle in place. I'm guessing the coldness of the freezer made the plastic brittle and this was the weak spot. My wife wants to replace the drawers rather than going the duct tape route and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to reinforce this area so it won't break again. I was mainly thinking of putting copious amounts of Gorilla Glue in this area thus making the stress area bigger and less likely to break. Any thoughts?

DaveMcS

Second Unit
Model cement might work too. Don't the solvents in the glue actually dissolve the pieces of plastic into forming a strong bond?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
That's interesting. I've not heard that before. I've just taken a look at some model forums and there are comments that plastic cement does melt plastic to create a stronger bond. Super Glue is considered brittle (tho i wonder if gorilla glue is the same). Thanks for that.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I just have to post a picture of this thing.

That thin little bump at the top and it's twin on the other side are supposed to support the entire weight of a drawer of frozen food. That and two little crevasses on the bottom. I discovered some transparent duct tape (!) today and taped the drawers back together. You can't even see the repair in normal use. Wife is happy. I did write Whirlpool to complain. This is a 16 month old $2000 fridge. I expect better from them.
I think I'll also submit a claim with American Express and utilize their extended warranty service so I should get a new set of drawers for free (give or take a few bucks for 'wear').

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Paul D G said:
I just have to post a picture of this thing. I discovered some transparent duct tape (!)
Stop the presses. Holy smoke, transparent duct tape? To quote the song "How long has this been going on?" Did you find that in a Home Depot or Lowes kinda store? Backl to the Fridge, it's kind of odd that the drawers for a freezer can't stand up to freezing cold.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Stop the presses. Holy smoke, transparent duct tape?
I found it at Home Depot. I was originally looking for white but they didn't have any in the colored duct tape section so the guy suggested I try in plumbing. And right next to the white was the transparent. It's not totally transparent, but the white would have stood out more.
Backl to the Fridge, it's kind of odd that the drawers for a freezer can't stand up to freezing cold.
It's the only thing I can think of. I thought it might be because we grab the drawers more to one side than the other but we do the same for the fridge and they're fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks