What's new

Regretting my RPTV 16:9 purchase (1 Viewer)

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
I think it all depends how close your sitting to the TV.
I tried a Panny HDTV ready 32" and was displeased. When I noticed the set was warped and had geometry problems I got a RPTV. It's nice not being woried about tracers, pixels, wavy shapes, big gray areas, e.t.c.

You might not even notice if your more than 7 feet away.

Color required lots of tweaking on the direct view also.

Other TVs may be different however. Espicially when in good shape.

David_Bl

Grip
Tommy,

Greetings from Columbia!

I had to get a satellite, b/c I wasn't happy w/ Time Warner's PQ on my Tosh tw40x81. I still have TW for locals, and it still looks crappy. But for all the other stuff I watch, satellite has improved the PQ a bunch.

I still get frustrated that the set doesn't handle fast moving sports that well. As the camera pans down the field, every thing gets fuzzy, the sharpens up as the cameras stops. Still, the pictures is not as good as a direct view. But for other stuff, it works well.

I've had the same second thoughts you have, but I watch more sat and dvd than you, and my TOSH does a great job with DVD.

David

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Tommy,
I understand where you are coming from on this. I turned away from buying a XBR set mostly because DVD viewing was the primary reason why I wanted a new set. That said, the razor-like sharpness of the XBR's still makes me go "ga-ga." If I planned on watching more cable and playin' more Xbox then certainly my desicion may have been different.
[Rant on] The XBR's though, are waaay too damned expensive. $3000 for the 40incher without a stand?. If they weren't sooo darn good I would have to call the company "Bose" ;) [Rant off]
I still have my 27 inch Trinitron which does a good job (although still not as steller as any XBR) with cable. My 16X9 Hitachi 53UWX does a pretty good job with cable but alas it still doesn't look as good as my trinitron nevermind the "bonzai like" sharpness of the XBR.
Like anything else in life you gotta strike a comprimise somewhere. I wouldn't regret the purchase desicion. I think the suggestion to buy a "cheap" 32 inch TV was a good one. There is a good HD ready Hitachi at CC for a little less than $1000 that will do nicely. I have heard others also mention Samsung in this price range.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks