What's new

Region Free DVD player needed. (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Just ordered a copy of "Bliss" (1985) that I won't be able to play.
I have a history of this, formats are so, fleeting.
I was born when 78RPM records were the standard. 45s came along when I was three. But I'm rambling.
Well, just a little more.
Bought a CD, "Hendrix at Winterland" before I had a player.
Bought "Brade Runner" before my first DVD player.
Can't remember now what my first Laser Disc was, but I still have it, all the reel to reel tapes are here too.

So, it's been way too long since I've seen Bliss, I thought owning it might motivate me.

Bought a European copy of "Barfly" a few years ago. Got the instructions for hacking whatever player I was using then. Audio worked, I could listen to Merle, "What if I did drink too much....wine...?"
But the video wasn't happening.
Thankfully there has now been a Region 1 release.

Is there a region free player for DVD and BR? That would really be the bomb.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a Yamaha DV-S5860 last year on buy dot com for $35 new including shipping. Apparently somebody found a pile of them years after their initial release and they were clearing them out for next to nothing. DVD-Audio, SACD, and easily hackable to region-free with great PAL conversion.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200095&CTID=5001800

Easy to set to region free - run some google searches to find the instructions.

Definitely a model to keep on the lookout for.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
So you applied a region free hack to your old DVD player and were able to hear the audio but get no picture. Most likely the hack worked but the player was outputing a PAL signal that your TV could not handle. It is quite possible you just needed to change a setting in the DVD player to have it convert the signal to NTSC for you.

Generally speaking a TV can support:
- NTSC only,
- PAL only, or
- Both NTSC and PAL

Region 1 is NTSC and Region 2 is PAL (as is most of Europe)

A DVD player can:
- Be region locked or support a hack to make them region free
- Support the native format of a DVD (NTSC or PAL), or convert the signal to one or the other.

Before selecting a player it is good to know your capabilities. If your TV also supports PAL then you only need a player that can be made region free. If not, you will also need one that can convert the signal to NTSC for you. Also, don't forget that you might need to make a change within the DVD player menu to force it to convert. Just to throw another wrinkle into the equation, some players may only support a signal conversion on certain outputs. For example, my Marantz can convert using component outputs but not HDMI. In my case I don't need it to convert, I prefer playing it as PAL since my projector supports it.

Philips's make inexpensive DVD players that can be made to be region free and are known to convert to NTSC.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
The Sherwood BDP-5004 Blu-ray player can play a PAL disc (BD or DVD) and produce NTSC output.

Entry of an appropriate code will make it able to play DVDs and BDs from different regions. No hardware hacks are required.

And it's readily available from various on-line retailers and local specialty AV stores at a reasonable price.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I recommend the Sherwood-5004 too. It's a fine player at a very reasonable price and you can play both blu-ray and dvd discs.

Crawdaddy

Astrakan

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Gale ">[/url]
Is there a region free player for DVD and BR? That would really be the bomb.[/QUOTE]
I can heartily recommend the Oppo BDP-83 for this. I've had mine since last summer, and aside from it being region free for DVD and BR (after applying a really easy-to-install hack) its upconversion of DVD is stellar. Its little brother, the BDP-80, can also be made region free for both DVD and BR.

I've put together a page of resources for both of these players on my blog, including several links pertaining to region modding them. You can

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
The Momitsu BDP-899 works fine for me in the LR Home theater. I also use an SD Oppo in the BR. Be careful about installing firmware updates on the Sherwood. There are reports that they remove certain region free abilities.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
So far there haven't been any firmware updates for the Sherwood BDP-5004. It plays Avatar just fine, unlike many BD players.

shane6973

Auditioning
Real Name
shane smith
I use "DVD Region-Free". It works fine. Doesn't change my region code on any of my DVD drives. I live in the US and watch a lot of region-3 movies.

cutehai1115

Auditioning
Real Name
Hailinlin hai
MTS Converter is a 100% clean software that able to convert MTS files to other popular video and audio formats with high output quality. So you may ask this quesiton: what is the mts files? MTS format is a high-definition MPEG, AVC, H.264 transport stream video file format which commonly used by HD camcorders such as Sony, Canon, Panasonic..MTS files are used primarily with Sony hardware. Camcorders make use of MTS in the form of AVCHD, a recording format made specifically for camcorders. Some camcorder models from Canon also use MTS files. These files are also present on Blu-ray disc compilations, therefore they are capable of storing quite a large amount of information and data tracks. Using this professional mts file converter you can enjoy converted files without the loss of quality anywhere, anytime.It can helps you to get excellent images and high-quality video and audio. Of course, this mts video converter is also a nice MTS to AVI Converter , it not only can convert .mts file to avi easily, also can help you to transform mts to mp4 or convert mts to flv There are various kinds of popular videos nowadays, then convert among them like convert mts to mpg.Here is a strong and powerful tool to carry your points.
There is full guide for you to get-- How to convert mts files

cutehai1115

Auditioning
Real Name
Hailinlin hai
MTS Converter is a 100% clean software that able to convert MTS files to other popular video and audio formats with high output quality. So you may ask this quesiton: what is the mts files? MTS format is a high-definition MPEG, AVC, H.264 transport stream video file format which commonly used by HD camcorders such as Sony, Canon, Panasonic..MTS files are used primarily with Sony hardware. Camcorders make use of MTS in the form of AVCHD, a recording format made specifically for camcorders. Some camcorder models from Canon also use MTS files. These files are also present on Blu-ray disc compilations, therefore they are capable of storing quite a large amount of information and data tracks. Using this professional mts file converter you can enjoy converted files without the loss of quality anywhere, anytime.It can helps you to get excellent images and high-quality video and audio. Of course, this mts video converter is also a nice MTS to AVI Converter , it not only can convert .mts file to avi easily, also can help you to transform mts to mp4 or convert mts to flv There are various kinds of popular videos nowadays, then convert among them like convert mts to mpg.Here is a strong and powerful tool to carry your points.

cutehai1115

Auditioning
Real Name
Hailinlin hai

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
For late comers to this topic, does anyone know off hand if there are any region free players, one can buy at Wal-Mart?

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by shane6973

I use "DVD Region-Free". It works fine. Doesn't change my region code on any of my DVD drives. I live in the US and watch a lot of region-3 movies.

What is "DVD Region-Free?"

Can someone tell me?

James

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JamesSmith

For late comers to this topic, does anyone know off hand if there are any region free players, one can buy at Wal-Mart?

James

You can buy any PHILIPS player that they sell (NOT DVD/VCR combos, but stand-alone DVD players only), then make it region-free yourself in about five minutes at home. Just type in the model number in the "DVD Hacks" section of VideoHelp.com and follow the hack instructions (it will be a simple remote-control code).

kangmeng

Auditioning
Real Name
kangmeng
Blu-ray to iPad is specially designed for iPad users which can be your best assistant to convert Blu-ray movies to iPad. You can watch your Blu-ray DVD movies on iPad with high definition.

Blu-ray to iPad is a powerful and professional Blu-ray to iPad converting software which can not only transfer Blu-ray DVD movies to iPad, but also can convert all Blu-ray DVD movies to playback on your iPad and other portable players like Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, GPhone, PSPPS3, Xbox, Mobile Phone, Windows Mobile etc.

Blu-ray to iPad is also an all-in-one video editor, you can customize video size, aspect ratio, bitrate, frame rate, audio channel and add different watermark like text, image (including GIF), and video watermark. Also a preview window is supported for you and you can capture the pictures befor converting.

ipad converter
avi to ipad
blu ray to ipad
iPad to pc
dvd to ipad

wang888

Auditioning
Real Name
wang
I recommend the Sherwood-5004 too. It's a fine player at a very reasonable price and you can play both blu-ray and dvd discs.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by wang888

the poster was asking for players available at Walmart stores, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks