What's new

Region "A" players that will work in the UK. (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not just buy a region-free?

I do know most "audio manufacturer made"(Pioneer/Yamaha etc) have worldwide power supplies. But they cost more than just buying region-free.

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Many thanks.

I did have a region free player but it retired hurt a couple of days before Christmas. My only option was to go to to a local store to get a player to see me over the holidays but, of course, it was region locked. To upgrade this new player to region free Blu Ray will cost about $150.00 so I thought that a region A player that accepted a 240 volt supply might be the answer.

Ah well, back to the drawing board!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You might try buying a used PS3. If you can find one cheap enough to ship(with a seller that won't get it stuck in customs).I would say look for a used player on EBay as well. But...Pioneer and Onkyo BD players from 3-4 years ago are hard to come by. Yamaha never lists power requirement like everybody else does.Last time I went over there, my GF had to go to 5 stores looking for a hair dryer that worked worldwide.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Check 220 electronics the Sony BDP-S5100 may have all the features you are looking for.

sony-bdp-s5100-region-free-blu-ray-player.jpg
blu-ray-promo-2.gif

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Brian Sharp said:
Many thanks.

I did have a region free player but it retired hurt a couple of days before Christmas. My only option was to go to to a local store to get a player to see me over the holidays but, of course, it was region locked. To upgrade this new player to region free Blu Ray will cost about $150.00 so I thought that a region A player that accepted a 240 volt supply might be the answer.

Ah well, back to the drawing board!
A transformer/voltage converter will cost a lot less than $150.00.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Do not use any voltage converters, they're not safe. Smoke was coming out of my BD player with voltage converter. True story. And even if the converter works, you just don't know how these Chinese (sorry, China, nothing personal) brands behave later on.Just buy a US/Canadian PS3. It's safe, rather cheap (Slim) and comes with great features. You don't have to sign on PSN or anything. I have ordered two US PS3:s from Videogames+ from Canada. Check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks