What's new

Region 1 Special Editions I'd really like to see get made. (1 Viewer)

John*P

Second Unit
Adventures in Babysitting - We might actually get this one, since the movie is in the process of being remade...

Better Off Dead - Savage Steve Holland (director) would have provided commentary for the current DVD, but Paramount released it without even telling him.

The Breakfast Club - John Hughes has said that there are three-hour cuts(!) of this movie and Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I would love to see either those versions, or many of the deleted scenes from these movies. Hughes has said that he hopes stuff from those cuts will surface one day...me too!

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - I believe I heard that this was rumored for release this year? I hope we finally get to see that infamous trailer that was altered after the Challenger disaster.

Home Alone - We were supposed to get this one a few years ago...

Lucas - I'd love a commentary and deleted scenes.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - See "The Breakfast Club" above...

Poltergeist - We're getting this in a few years, I believe...

Sixteen Candles

Uncle Buck

Weird Science

The Wizard - Hell, a bare bones version of this movie would be nice...we don't even have that yet...

John*P

Second Unit

Ha! I recently became a fan of the Poltergeist trilogy, and was lucky to find the current edition of the original movie on DVD at Wally World for $4.99. I didn't feel like waiting till 2007...not a bad deal, tho!

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Titanic was never on my list because I have absolutely ZERO interest in owning it. I literally couldn't even care if it came as an 8-Disc collection I'm steering clear of it no matter what.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'd also like to see a new anamorphoc release of BROKEN ARROW.

I watched this last night, first time in years. A pretty good movie, just too bad the DVD is non-anamorphic.

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I would love a Risky Business Special Edition. I haven't heard anything for a while.

A film I have seen countless times and it still has a re-watch value to it.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Broken Arrow rocks. I think Broken Arrow and Face/Off are the only great American John Woo movies. The first was fun and the second was even better. I don't know what happened to him after it. They both deserve new DVDs.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Death Becomes Her in a 2-disc SE

Widescreen, with two versions of the film:
The theatrical release, and
The unedited preview version- with the original ending and all of Tracey Ullman's scenes restored.

Why they put this out originally on DVD in fullscreen is beyond me!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Yeah...I can't imagine someone like Robert Zemeckis giving a green light to that one. I can only guess that the studio must've slipped it out the door without his approval.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
-Dead Presidents Dir Cut (I heard alot was cut)
-The Thin Red Line
-The Rocketeer
-Dick Tracy
-Superman2
-The Wild Bunch
-Strange Days (I cant believe this title was never revisited with a proper 16x9 transfer)
-The Road Warrior
-The Doors
-Nixon
-Bram Stokers Dracula (With cut footage, like the scene of the Brides hunting down Harker - I saw this on ShowtimeHD last night and it looked absolutely amazing:emoji_thumbsup: )

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Tonight I'm watching The Towering Inferno on Fox Movie Channel, and it's rather surprising that it and The Poseidon Adventure were released on DVD with no extras. I do remember LOTS of behind-the-scenes stuff shown on TV for the initial release of The Towering Inferno. And considering what a publicity hound Irwin Allen was, there's got to be hours of stuff (including deleted footage) that can justify 2-disc SEs of both films.

As a footnote, it is a bit strange to see this film on TV for the first time as a New Yorker after 9/11. I work in Lower Manhattan and was actually at WTC about a half-hour before the first plane hit it. Just seeing all those people trapped upstairs does bring back painful memories of that day, but you've gotta hand it to Mr. Allen- he was certainly ahead of his time in showing what could (and sadly did )happen if one of the world's tallest buildings caught ablaze......

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Too bad Hollywood is "reluctant" to make more disaster films after that day.:thumbsdown:
Probably no more Die Hard type films will me made now. If The Towering Inferno has ANY documentaries mentioning that day I'll personally boycott it. It should stay in the context of the making-of the FILM.
Over and out.
Worse things have happened...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ray, I think Tarantino is planning a disaster film after his WW2 project.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Ray, like it or not, 9/11 and The Towering Inferno are forever linked, the same way The China Syndrome is linked to Three Mile Island and The Manchurian Candidate is linked to JFK's assassination, and Taxi Driver is linked to the attempt on the attempt on Ronald Reagan's life. Just another example of motion picture fiction becoming real-life horror. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who's made this parallel. If an SE of The Towering Inferno is done, it's an issue that has to be addressed, like it or not.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I have in absolutely no way associated The Towering Inferno with "9/11". Have anymore propaganda you'd like to spout off?
We'll probably not have anymore airplane disaster films such as the Airport series, Die Hard 2, Turbulence, Air Force One due to Hollywood bullshit. And what about The Poseidon Adventure? Surely you can find some absurd link to that.
Bottom line is, you keep things like that out of my thread. I will not tolerate it.
Now, let's get back to the topic of my thread, shall we?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry you have to resort to using four-letter words in this forum. I was merely stating an opinion regarding the strange coinicdence between a fictional film and real-life events. There was no political slant intended at all. Your overreaction totally came out of nowhere, and only the moderator of this forum has the final word as to content.

Of all the people who read this forum you seem to be the only one to show such an adverse reaction to statements I have posted here. To use such strong language shows a lack of tolerance and perhaps, maturity.

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves" William Shakespeare
Julius Caesar

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Backdraft - The current disc is non-animorphic and has no extras. I'd like to see an SE in 16:9 with the extra scenes that were in the tv version either integrated back into the film, or as extras on the disc.

Far and Away -Another Ron Howard film that deserves an SE. I would like this SE to have all 35 minutes of added scenes from the tv version either re-integrated into the film, or as deleted scenes on the disc as these scenes are quite good and really add to the film.

Hard Target - John Woo's first American film really deserves a re-release. I would like this new version to have his extended director's cut. Universal cut a great deal of scenes and gore from the movie. Woo's directors cut is a much better movie and truer to his vision. This director's cut deserves to be on dvd.

Waterworld -One of the most talked about and most expensive movies ever made, Waterworld truly deserves a special edition. The tv version of the film has over 40 minutes of deleted scenes that really add to the movie and fill in the plot holes that were left in the theatrical version. The film was cutup and re-edited much to the chagrin of director Kevin Reynolds. I would love to see the extended cut in 16:9 widescreen, or to have all the deleted scenes as extras on the se. Also wanted are featurettes detailing the look of the film.

Scream This is another movie screaming (haha) for a re-release. The current disc is non-animorphic and is the theatrical film. I would like the new disc to have the gorier Director's cut in 16:9.

Escape From LA - A great movie that truly deserves a 16:9 re-release. Any extras would be great.

Days of Thunder -The current disc lacks in all regards as it is barebones and non-animorphic. I would like the new version to at least include a 16:9 transfer of the film.

Mission Impossible -Another Cruise movie that deserves a 16:9 re-relase. I am sure that there are many extras as well.

Superman While the current disc is fine, it does not include all of the deleted scenes from the tv versions. The longest tv cut (the KCOP) contains over 40 mins of additional scenes. All of these scenes add to the movie. The current dvd only has two of these scenes. It would be great to have them in their OAR (the tv cut is of course full frame.) as deleted scenes on the SE.

Superman II -The current release has no extras. The most notable of the Superman movies as after filming most of the film, Donner was fired and replaced by Lester. Lester only used a small portion of Donner's scenes. I would love to see all of Donner's footage either re-integrated into the film, or as deleted scenes on the new disc. All these scenes were shown in multiple tv cuts and they GREATLY add to the film.

Superman III While not the best of the Superman Films, this film deserves an SE, perhaps with all the footage from the tv version as deleted scenes.

Superman IV - I would love to see the orignal sceener of the film as it was over 50 mins longer. If these scenes still exist in any form, please have them as deleted scenes on the disc.

Timecop - The current release is very poor as it is in full frame only. I'd love to see this film released in 16:9 widescreen with extras.

Sudden Death Another Van Damme movie that was released in full frame only. I'd like to see this released in 16:9 widescreen or with extras.

Kindergarten Cop - I would love to see this film re-released in 16:9 widescreen as the current disc is full frame only.

Twins Another Schwarzenegger film that deserves to be re-released since the current disc is full frame only.

Judge Dredd - I would love to see this film re-released in 16:9 widescreen as the current disc has no extras and it is non-animorphic.

There are many other movies that I can list, but I don't want to make a book.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Excellent choices, Mark Pytel.

Here's what I'd also like to add.

True Lies - Just about all of James Cameron's films are released in very kick arse Special Editions (yes, including Titanic but that doesn't really count on my end now does it?) A 16:9 anamorphic transfer and some features including stuff about the merchandise, including the video game, would be the icing on the proverbial cake.

Outland - I'm quite eager to purchase this title but as David Boulet states the current transfer leaves much to be desired in the quality department. That said, a fully remastered 16:9 transfer seems to be in order with the appropriate smattering of extras.

The NeverEnding Story - This most deservedly deserves (quaint, ain't it?;) ) Warner's Two-Disc Special Edition treatment. A fully branching version with the American and the International (Perhaps the German cut?) fully remastered 16:9 transfer with commentaries and the second disc obviously devoted to the extras. The second disc should be dual-layered considering the source material is a book and there are alot of sites divulging on the making of the film. One of my must buys but alas am holding off for the dream version stated above.

Dead Poet's Society - Whilst Region 1 has a single disc non-anamorphic DVD of said title, Region 2 UK has 2-discs and a longer cut of the film.

I could list more but like Mark I don't want to make it seem like a book also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks