What's new

Regarding the "tax stimulus" refund.... (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Both are excluded from the "consumer price index" (CPI), the government's statistic for inflation, so I guess from the government's view they aren't "consumer goods". What was that about lies, damned lies, and statistics? :rolleyes

My check arrived this Tuesday, the same day my washing machine burned up. So I guess i did get to spend it on "durable goods".

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
The joke's on him- I don't buy bread!

That Slate piece is built on bad logic (no surprise)- even if someone's check is entirely spent on higher gas prices, they still have more to spend than if they didn't get the check.

Whether the whole program makes sense is a separate issue.

If the guy from Slate doesn't want his check, I'll take it. What is his real point? The fact that gas has gone up a lot in price since the stimulus package was announced has nothing to do with the stimulus deal!

It's like saying that if your boss gives you a raise, it's not really a raise since prices are higher... but you're still better off than if you didn't get the raise.

Interesting to know that some stores are giving bonuses on the checks, really the only useful tidbit in that article.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I think this might be another worthwhile point;

I take this to mean the intended effect of the stimulus will not be realized because most will be using it to keep their heads above water.

So it's not really a stimulus, it's more of a temporary stop-loss.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Yeah, that article reminds me of those killjoy weathermen on the news. If there has been a drought and it finally rains one day, they are quick to point out that it's not enough rain to help. Gee, I guess we should all just go kill ourselves then.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

He needs to pay for gas just as much as we do, I suppose.

If most people will be spending their "stimulus" check on gas, then the net effect would be the same as if the government had sent everyone's checks directly to the oil companies in return for their agreeing not to raise gas prices.

mylan

Screenwriter
Well, my wife and I are still waiting for ours. We thought since we did direct deposit and my last two digits we would see it May, 16.
I do have a theory, we had to pay about $100 and it was directly drafted out of our acct. on the 12th, it may have not been processed by the 15th i've read, also we did not use Turbo Tax so that would'nt be an issue. At this point, it could be July 11th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks