What's new

Refurbished tv's from Sony outlet stores???? Has anyone bought one? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Just called up the Sony outlet store and they have refurbished xbr sets for a "significant" discount I was told. They would not give me a quote over the phone. I was told that these tv's are anything from returns to cosmetically flawed sets to other things. He said that they have all been cheked by the factory after returned to insure they are working properly.

Have any of you guys bought one of these sets?

I asked about extended waranty and he told me to call Sony to see if they offer anything.

What is everyones thought on this route?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Todd
I would be very reluctant to buy a Sony refurb TV. If you search Sony XBR you will find a number of rather bitter posts about new XBRs, let alone refurbs.
Sony cuts the tolerance on its parts too close. Result: some work fine for years, others are lemons forever. There are good deals to be had on new XBRs from authorized Sony dealers like J&R Music.
You also hit on something very important. Extended Warranties. Pretty lame that the outlet store doesn't have the information and sell the warranties.
I wouldn't buy any Sony TV, new or used, without an extended warranty.
Artie

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When it comes to purchasing televisions of any sort from any manufacturer, new is the safest way to go. Even if the refurbed units have been "checked out," you still have no way of knowing how hard they were driven originally. And, as Arthur notes, the prices for new sets can be attractively low.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replys! My gut feeling is to NOT go this route because it is very risky. The main problem I have with it is they wont deliver, no in home waranty plan so if something goes wrong I have to lug this 250 pound or whatever it weighs beast to a service center, etc. I just thought that if Sony tv's were considered to be reliable I would give it a shot. It is just so tempting because I have heard that you can get up to 50% off going this route. I dont think I will risk it though. My luck it would have something wrong after I halled the thing all the way home and that would suck!:angry: :thumbsdown:

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
50% is a big discount. Go to the store, see what the price is and if you like it, try it out in the store to make sure it is ok and then bring it home.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
That is a good thought Mikey. I would have to be able to see the set first. Unbox it there and give a complete check before sale if they allow this. If they dont I probably wont risk it, but if I can get some help to get this thing home to try it maybe it would be worth a shot if the discount is substantial enough. Well I will go check it out and see how I feel about the situation and decide if I want to risk it. Thanks again for the advice.

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
I wanted to mention, I did a google search and found http://store.yahoo.com/refurbelectronics/refurbtvs.html which sells refurb. TV's and other things. I took a look at 42 inch Toshiba widescreen that normally goes for 2500.00 according to their site, for roughly 1400+ shipping. It included the option to get a 2 or 4 year warranty from Toshiba. If you want to buy cheap, might want to give this site a look. Can hurt to look.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I bought my 32xbr450 before xmas for $1049 (CC had it on sale for $2k)

knock on wood not a problem with it -very happy!!

Friend of mine bought the 36xbr450 for $1200...he is still my friend

I picked up the HD100 for $500 so I have a 32 HDTV for $1600. Not bad

BTW I have bought quite a few things from the Tracy outlet, not a problem with anything.

The people don't know their @#$% for a hole in the ground so do your homework. About half of the items in the store are discounted ~50% or so ..then other items are almost higher than retail. I take a crutchfields catalog with me mark down the store prices then go in the car and compare prices

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I actually came from a Sony outlet yesterday. There was this neat 60" LCD TV putting out I think HD material. The price is quite low at $5700. But they also have this big sign saying that sets bought at outlets would NOT be covered by the Sony At Home (or something) service thingy. So I guess its not like buying new at all.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Grant,

I went to the Tracy outlet last weekend and the 32XBR was $1500??? While the 36XBR was $1599. I was hoping for a deal like yours. I would love a 32XBR for $1100.

BTW, they even had the 40" for $2200.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Jeff

Sorry to hear the bad luck. Thats kind of weird the 36 only $99 more than the 32

Were they 450s?

Last time I was there, the stock was pretty low. Did they restocK?

Blowouts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks