What's new

Refrigerator ice/water dispensers (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My parents got a new refrigerator in their new home in Delaware and I helped them move a bunch of stuff down there this weekend. He wasn't interested in a water/ice maker in the fridge option but seems like most of the new middle to upper range models come with one so he has it. He actually has the water line installed in the house even though he never chose to do that, it's like a $200 option or something lika that. Anyway, is there a way to turn just the ice/water dispenser off or is it even necessary? I think the unit runs every so often and I know it cannot be good to run a water pump when dry. The manual says nothing about how to turn it off or even if we should turn it off, but my sister who spoke to a GE repairman said that even he said the dispenser should be turned off if you're not hooking it up to the water source. Does the dispenser have it's own fuse assembly or a switch, I'm trying to see if it is necessary to remove the fuse to shut it off. It's a Maytag side by side fridge, if that matters and I don't remember the model number.

Jay

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If there's a way to turn it off easily, it's probably a good idea, for energy savings at least, but if it can't be turned off easily don't worry about it. It doesn't use a pump, it's all run from valves (it uses existing water pressure), so no harm can come to the dispenser if it's "dry". The ice maker probably doesn't operate if there's no water anyway.

KJP

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
If there's already a water hook-up behind the unit I see no reason not to hook it up. Who can not want unlimited ice and cold water? But if he absolutely does not want it and wants to turn off the ice maker, most units have some kind of an "arm" in the icemaker that senses when the ice tray is full so it doesn't keep filling it up to overflow. Just lift that arm up and it turns it off. There's no way (that I know of) to turn off the water dispenser. But that doesn't cycle on and off if you don't use it.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
What are you going to do for ice? Or, don't you want any?
We're Chinese, we drink tea.. :D We hardly use ice, but when we do, we use those old fashioned, 1950's technology known as the "ice cube tray". I tend to use those ice cube block things so my soda doesn't get watery which I hate.
The thing is that neither of us are any good at plumbing and right now we're just trying to cut costs and stuff... too bad you can't just somehow use a food grade hose and screw in the pipes..
Jay

Kevin P

Screenwriter
There's no way (that I know of) to turn off the water dispenser. But that doesn't cycle on and off if you don't use it.
The water dispenser is always "off" until you push the button that makes it "dispense". It's just a solenoid operated valve.

KJP

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Kevin - I know, but Jay seemed to want to completely disable it.
Jay - You don't have to know anything about plumbing. The pipe behind the refrigerator should already have the right kind of connector on it. All you need is the hose. Just go back to where you bought the refrigerator and they can sell you the right kind of "water kit" (don't use the copper tube, get the nylon tubing). Pull the refrigerator out, screw one end of the tube into the refrigerator, screw the other end onto the pipe fitting in the wall, turn on the water (there should be a little valve at the pipe fitting in the wall that needs to be opened, like turning on a faucet). Then push the refrigerator back in being careful not to kink the tube.
If you can plug in cable to a TV you can do this. ;)
Unlimited ice is nice. You never have to refill an ice tray. Plus, the thing is already taking up room in the freezer. Why waste more space with ice trays?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
even if the water line isn't already run to the refrigerator they're REALLY REALLY easy to do, especially if the kitchen is above an un-finished basement, all you need is an ice maker kit from home depot, comes with a self tapping saddle valve that straps on to a cold water line and taps into it, and comes with the vinyl tubing and all the fittings, all you have to do is drill about a 1/4" hole through the floor behind the refrigerator and follow the instructions on the box

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Come to think of it, if your parents didn't want the dispenser, why did they buy a fridge with it? The top or bottom freezers are more energy efficient than side-by-sides (not to mention more space efficient, IMO).

Anyway, if energy use is a big concern, it needn't be- 2001 and newer fridges are about 40% more efficient than those from just a few years ago. On top of that, Maytags are among the most energy-efficient.

Todd

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Because many refridgerators do not have an option of not coming with a water dispensor. The Maytag they got is a nicer model and there really wasn't an option. Plus, since this is a new house, he already had to buy like a washer/dryer/fridge and had to buy them all at once from Lowes to save on shipping and to get the 10% discount so the one refridgerator that my mom liked came with the water dispensor. Reality sets in and you can't always select the options you want and the ones you don't.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks