What's new

"Reefer Madness" SE in 2004! (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
DVD Review has the scoop on this new DVD release from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment:

http://dvdreview.com/html/news.html

I'm thinking, did this originally come out in 1937 or 1947? Somehow my mind is telling me 1937, but it could very well be the latter.

Cheech and Chong, eat your heart out! ;)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
This disc will contain both the B/W version as well as a new colorized print, and will feature audio commentary by Mike Nelson from MST3K.

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
audio commentary by Mike Nelson from MST3K.

An absolutely brilliant idea... now that it's mentioned, I'm surprised no one else has employeed the MST3K crew in this way.

Now, where do I send the email demanding he do the same for an SE of Batman & Robin? ;)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
This sounds interesting, but not particularly serious. Could be fun, but I was quite satisfied with Something Weird's Marijuana Trilogy, which had a fantastic print of the film under a different title (which eludes me at the moment), as well as two other movies (one with a commentary) and the usual allotment of trailers and shorts.

Seriously, how much info will we get from a commentary by the guys who did the colorized version? If nothing else, this version will at least bring this novelty to the masses in a presumably decent form when the brick & mortars stock multiple copies

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I forgot about the second commentary by the colorization guys. That is weird.

They're now working on colorized versions of CARNIVAL OF SOULS and ALL ABOUT EVE, and a new colorized version of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Fox already released A CHRISTMAS WISH (aka THE GREAT RUPERT) on DVD in color.

No, I'm not kidding. You can see video clips at their website, www.legendfilms.net.

It's the same old thing, it really doesn't look better than other colorization attempts.

At least the discs contain the original B/W versions as well.

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to know why this film needs a DD 5.1 and a DTS 5.1 soundtrack because most of the film is mostly dialogue. I tried watching this film a long time ago, and I thought it was very stupid and unrealistic. There is no way that a person can get high on one puff of marijuana, but that's how it was done. I guess the government was trying to scare people not to use it by using these strange scare tactics.

It's sort of like the government making those nuclear blast films to "duck and cover." It is so rediculous and contrived.

perrin

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Edwards
According to DVD Review, it's being released on April 20. Wow, a pot movie coming out on 4/20. Coincidence? I think not!:D

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Edwards
I found the origin told here. I looked for it on the High Times site, but they're doing a massive relaunch/redesign and I couldn't find anything.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Colorization has always looked terrible. I will never, NEVER buy a colorized film. Give me a nice clean print of the B&W original any day. Fox just lost tons of respect from me.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Isn't this movie in Public Domain?

When I had a subscription to one of those "DVD mags", they would send you a public domain movie every month. (ie Night of the Living Dead, etc), and I remember getting Refer Madness.

Not that it matters. Anything with a MS3K is a good idea!

Nick

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio

The B&W original IS on the DVD along with the (bastard) Colorized version.

Andrew

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
That's true, Andrew, however by puchasing this disc the studio will assume that colorized films will sell. That leads to more colorized films.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Give them a little more credit than that. The folks at Fox aren't so stupid that they'd assume every purchase of the disc was for the colorized version. They wouldn't even have bothered to include the proper black and white version if that were the case.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
ANYONE concerned over the artistic integrity of Reefer Madness needs to get their priorities straightened. Fox are colorising it and giving it DTS sound because it's one of the campiest, most idiotic films ever made, and they're apparently doing everything they can to heighten the surrealness of the experience. Hats off to them.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Jon, I really pity you my friend if you think that's the case. They are colorizing it because they think consumers want it colorized. They wouldn't pay for the expense otherwise. Same thing with DTS. They know that most of America is stupid enought to see a DTS logo and assume that the sound is something special. It's sad to see so many HTF members living in a dreamworld. Go ahead and purchase your mutilated films. Just don't say I didn't warn you when it becomes more widespead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks