What's new

Reducing sound leak through door cracks (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Anybody recommend any ways i can reduce sound from leaking through the cracks of doors? maybe some kind of rubber between the door and the frame?

i find that if i put my ear up to the cracks, i can even here the high pitch whine of my TV when its on.

just trying to reduce noise coming from my room to the hallway...

thanks

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Closed cell foam. Its used weather proof doors. You should be able to find rolls of different widths at lowes or home depot. I think its in the door section. Its fairly cheap 2-3 dollars for a roll that will do at least 1 whole door.

I don't know how much that will help because if you have a standard hollow core door it will let all the sound through anyway. I don't know about lowes but home depot sells doors that are made to block sound. They run about $160 for stainable oak surface pre-hung (the one I priced)and a little less for paintable surface. They are solid core and the core is some kind of sound absorbant material.

BTW if anyone has one of these could you let me know how well they work.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
yeah i know sound will still leak out with hollow-core doors, but i just found more sound leaks through the cracks of the doors (especially the higher frequencies)...

thanks, ill check that stuff out

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the foam. It came with my solid oak exterior doors I am using as interior doors in my theater to eliminate sound from my heat/ac blower unit from coming into my theater. Works very well!

Also, make sure you have insulation stuffed tight between the door jambs and stud wall. You will have to remove casing to check - often over-looked and the space there can be significant.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks