reducing 5.1 to 2.1 - ideas for a solution to use headphones

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by lbk, Jun 3, 2010.

1. lbk

lbk Auditioning

I have a 5.1 HTIB. I also have an infant, so at night, I want to use my wireless headphones. There is no headphone jack on the receiver - and the only outputs are for the 5 speakers. How am I going to get sound to the wireless transmitter? The transmitter simply requires that I hook up a L and a R anolog sound cable. I thought maybe I could splice into the front L & R speaker wires, but I don't think that is going to work properly because voice comes mostly from the front middle speaker. What I really need (I think) is a switch box of some sort that has a headphone jack. That would do it. Any ideas on a way that I could accomplish this? Can I do it by splicing into the speaker wires?

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    What is the make and model of your HTiB? Doesn't it have analog (red/white) RCA outputs?

Regards,

Joe

3. lbk

lbk Auditioning

The only outputs are video outputs. That is the way almost all HTIBs are configured.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Does your TV have an headphone jack? Because I don't see any way you could something into the existing speaker wires and have it work.

Regards,

Joe.

5. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton

Actually, it's typical of HTiB systems that have a DVD player integrated into the surround sound unit itself. Some HTiB systems (ones that are built around an actual A/V receiver) do have the necessary outputs.

If your HTiB has the DVD integrated, and the only audio "output" from the HTiB system are the speaker connections, then you won't be able to listen to DVDs using headphones.

If you have other sources that you'd like to listen to using headphones, then you will need to either hook the headphones up to them directly, or run secondary audio connections from the source(s) to the TV and connect the headphones to the TV.

6. hawkeye

hawkeye Auditioning

If your TV has red/white RCA output you can get an adapter. Red and white male into your TV on one end and a 1/8" or 1/4" female on the other end for your headphones. I did that with my TV. But you have no volume control. The volume on mine is fine. You can also get a volume control and add it to the extension. It will only lower the volume because there would be no way to amplify it.