What's new

red speckles/specs on plasma ? (1 Viewer)

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
i have been reading online about an issue with red speckles appearing on certain plasma tv's.....

and am now concerned !...

i have had my toshiba 42hp66 plasma for nearly 3 yrs, and only watch movies maybe 6-8hrs a week.

it is not used for anything else.

i worked out that is about 450 hrs per year use x 3yrs or there abouts .

i now see all of a sudden, in the dark areas of a picture and on turning on tv some small red speckles flickering around the image, mainly in the first 10 mins or so, but certainly does carry on thruout entire movie.

right now it is not a lot, but noticable.

after searching this out a little, i see owners of plasma tvs saying this kind of thing happened after only 6 months use of a new tv, then eventually the display just got worse and stopped working completely ?

i assume these owners probally had there tvs for general use and not specifically for movies alone.

so being mine is 3 yrs old, and total hours are probally consistent now with 6 months regular day to day veiwing of lets say 5hrs a day , am i about to see a huge problem ?

after paying top price for a plasma, i had in mind to just keep it as pristine as possible for at least 5 yrs with low use and for hi def movies alone . seems that a good plan may well end up being a bad one, as i could have noticed this problem whislt it was still under warranty !.

obviously out of warranty anyway, and from what i read toshiba suck even if it had a warranty, and would get blown off by them.

3yrs down the road with a tv that has such low use, i am feeling pissed off i might have major problem in the near future as this has just started to happen.

anyone else have same issue , or any ideas what it might be causing this, is it worth having it looked at before it gets really bad ?

i see others quoted almost a $1000 to replace boards etc that might be affecting this issue, only to have the same problem agian months later, if not never solving it .

sorry for the rambling !...but the wife aint happy with me for spending this much in the first place ,

i have all the setting cranked down to pro long the display life etc

thanks in advance ...

I also have a Toshiba 42hp66. I started getting the red spots during warrenty period. I had it fixed at no cost and the spots went away. They replaced two boards. Now for the bad news, they have reappeared. Now I have had the set 2 and a half years so no more warrenty. This model of toshiba uses an LG tube. There is a long forum entry on this in the AVS forum. There are suggestions about adjusting the voltage on two of the ccontrol cards and for some this seems to work. There is photos on how to do this on that long forum enrty on the AVS forum. It really only shows when the screen is dark or black. I am in a quandry now about riding it out for a few years then getting another set or get a new Panasonic since you can get a 42 inch 1080p for less than $1000. The forum entry in AVS forum is under plasma tvs and the heading is about red speckles. It is more geared towards LD plasmas but that okay cause its the tube you have. Hope this has been a help.

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
thanks brian.......

i have read all that stuff, just annoyed my screen is immaculate and hardly used.

shouldve of just used it daily for normal tv, the problem would have showed up , and could have been sorted whislt in warranty.

but no doubt would have been back not long after that....gutted as i paid top money for this tv and planned on keeping it mint condition due to price.

although the specs are nominal flashes at the moment, i expect it to get worse down the road.

and then of course will open it up and try to level out voltage etc as posted by others.

gues i can do that till the inevitable happens !.....maybe i will get another couple of years out of it with regular adjustments to voltage etc ....we'll see

i personnaly am not bothered with hi def tv for regular veiwing, this was my movie tv ,.......i think i will end up getting a 1080p projector eventually...i hope these are reliable, and easily serviced when needed ?

cheers

Glad it helped. I hope it doesnt bother your movie watching too much. Its kinda funny since I got the Toshiba since I felt it had a better picture than the Panasonic at the time I bought it. From your log in name it appears you are an Formula One fan? I can hardly wait till Sppd tv is high def here in Seattle so I can watch the races in HD! I went to the Canadian GP in 1995 and 1996.

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
yes brian...f1 is my sport, i paint race car art also.......

i am from the u.k living in las vegas....so been to many f1 races, monza, silverstone, spa ...a cuople of visits to each over the years....great fun, camping at the tracks , beers and all...

cheers !

I am going to be in Las vegas from Feb 22-27 staying at the Wynn. Would love to hook up over a beer or two and yak about f1!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks