Red objects look orange on my tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Anderson, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    I believe I may have what is called the "red push" problem on my tv. Objects that are supposed to be red in color have way too much orange in them. I have tried adjusting the color and tint but I just can't get it right. Thanks for any help.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yep, this is a very common problem. Most consumer sets use red push to offset the blue shift in grayscale that the manufacturers assume consumers want. Of course, if you're a real HT enthusiast, you end up losing.

What kind of display is it?

A service menu calibration can tame the grayscale. As for the orange tints, you might try reducing the chroma levels a bit.

3. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson
    I have a direct view CRT-Proscan. How do you adjust chroma levels? My tv has basic adjustments like color, tint etc.
    Thanks.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Chroma level is the same as color level. Just reduce it a bit to make the skin tones appear more natural. Of course, doing this affects the other colors as well. Nothing can be done about that, short of a full calibration, which I doubt you'd want to do on an older set.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

On some picture tubes, the red phosphor is not as red as it could be, it is too orange.
    If you have an RPTV, you may be able to add a red cellophane (theater lighting gel is better) over the red gun to improve the red, you will need to re-calibrate everything to get the color balance right again.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson
    Thank you Jack and Allan for your advice. My tv is only 4 years old and it gets a great picture except for the color problem I mentioned. I try making adjustments with the color.