Recording TCM In Anamorphic: POSSIBLE?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Professor Echo, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    [SIZE= smaller](Maybe the Mods can steer this to another forum if it isn't appropriate for this one. I did a search and couldn't find if this subject has been addressed before).[/SIZE]

Is it possible to record a widescreen/letterboxed movie off of TCM onto a DVD-R and make it play back with anamorphic enhancement? I can do it with films on HD channels, but since TCM is SD and not outputting a 16x9 signal, I just can't figure out if there is any way to do it. ???

2. JimKr

JimKr Stunt Coordinator

Can't add the "enhancement" if it isn't there to begin with.

3. Professor Echo

Glen
    I assumed that was the case, but I remember corresponding with a fellow HTF'er who claimed it could be done. It was awhile ago and I no longer have his letters or remember the process he used. At that time I didn't have the setup he had, DirecTV, but I do now. Was hoping he or someone else might be able to explain if it were indeed possible.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    You can use various screen modes on your television to replicate certain widescreen ratios, but you can't get the resolution lost from a non-anamorphic video presentation of a movie in which it's OAR is a widescreen ratio.

Crawdaddy

5. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I wonder when the SD channels will stop broadcasting letterboxed content designed for 4:3 televisions.

6. Professor Echo

Glen
    It's a shame as the only titles I want in the WB Archive collection are purely because they are anamorphic and/or contain a trailer. Otherwise, I am more than happy with my off air recordings from TCM.

7. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

TCM-HD is available in some areas. I guess encouraging your cable or satellite provider to carry it would be the next thing to try.

8. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I think the only thing you can do is record it as is, and then crop the recorded video with a program like DVD rebuilder. You will end up with a widescreen image that is no longer boxed, but you will lose some resolution.

9. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

TCM-HD is upconverted SD and not true HD. I guess its like playing a standard DVD on a blu ray player. It looks better than SD but its not true HD. Turner currently has only one signal for TCM in the USA. They don't even have east and west coast feeds. I know its available on Cablevision. Does anyone have it and can they comment on how it looks.

10. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    I've got it and there are times that the upconversion is noticable, but I haven't found it distracting. That being said, my display is under 40 inches so it's definitely a "your mileage may vary" situation. What's nice, of course, is that you get the full width of the display being utilized for the widescreen material.

11. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Some are upconverts, but some are actual HD. I don't have TCM-HD, because Comcast doesn't yet have it in my area. But I've followed a thread at AVS Forum about it. People have been posting there about the movies shown in actual HD.

12. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Supporting Actor

I have Dish Network and they don't have TCM-HD yet. So what I do is set my HD DVR (Vip 622) to "zoom" mode on widescreen movies so that it outputs a cropped image via the S-video output and then record it to my DVD recorder. The flags aren't going to be on it so it would appear squeezed on a 4x3 TV, so I re-author it using DVD Studio Pro to put the proper flags into it so it will appear properly on a 4x3 TV.

Is it ideal? No, but the quality is better than if I just recorded it in flat widescreen, and I preserve every bit of detail - what little there may be - from the original broadcast.

13. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

Well, all I know is that when they play 16:9 (or wider) movies on TCM-HD, they appear in widescreen 16:9 on my TV, and they are not stretched. Nor do they look magnified, with lower resolution, as programs do when I enlarge them with my TV.

14. Professor Echo

Glen
    Chuck, you were the person I was thinking of and referring to in my post above. Sorry I couldn't remember your name and had lost all of our previous correspondence. I remembered you having DirecTV, but see now that it's actually DISH. I would think a similar setup could be done with the HD DVR from Direct that I have and will PM you for more information once I experiment a bit more as per your method.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I can only hope TCM HD goes nationwide soon and continues to remaster their library in true HD, even though it may take years to do so.

15. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Glad to hear the picture is not stretched. My information came from Turner itself as I was doing some work with them. Of course I was working with the finance people and they may not know exactly what or how they broadcast. I did ask as I was interested and they did say there was only one feed in the US for TCM and that it was standard not HDTV. Turner would like to make all their network signals HDTV with the SD signal a downgrade from the HD signal but they are not there yet. Currently there are separate signals for SD and HDTV as well as east and west coast feeds for all the Turner channels except TCM and Boomerang which are SD only with no east and west coast feeds..

I excluded the various CNN channels from the above some of which broadcast in true HD . There are no east coast west coast feeds for CNN.

16. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    I had noticed the same thing with widescreen programs. It is still possible that they are sending an upconverted signal, much like my upconverting DVD player will do. A similar case of standard definition material consuming the entire width of the hi-def display. I frankly can't tell if this is the case or not.

17. Hank E

Hank E Stunt Coordinator

Found this thread from a Google search. I'm not a regular viewer of TCM, but I watched a movie last night (Little Darlings) on Time Warner's TCM HD and was surprised to see that it wasn't anamorphic. I see this thread is almost a year old, but is this the case with TCM HD? Are all the movies they show in widescreen non-anamorphic or is it just some titles?

18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

some but not all.